Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rhoque

No option for putting Middle Name in TurboTax Standard. Need suggestion

In my name there are 3 portions (First, Middle, Last). This is the first time I am using TurboTax Standard and it's giving me only First Name and Last Name options. In previous years, I submitted my tax through tax consultant and in my NOC (Notice of Assessment) I saw it's showing all 3 parts. So in that regard should I use First Name and Middle Name in First Name area for TurboTax? Or just First Name? I am worried, if CRA complains about name not matching. Please suggest.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You have a valid concern. This name variation situation happens a lot.

If you try to NetFile with a name that differs from what CRA have on file
for your SIN, your attempts may be rejected. Don't NetFile until you have this resolved.
Usually you should be able to resolve your name from your previous tax return and your Notice of Assessment. Obtain a copy of your 2013 T1 Return itself (not a summary) and see what was entered. If you are unable to do this, the following are my suggestions;

Do not rely on name variations provided by T slip issuers or on other receipts such as RRSP contribution slips from your bank, or even from other government sources.

- contact CRA by phone in person. Have yor 2013 Notice to hand.
- login to your My Account for CRA if you have one, and check your name
- in the event you get no information, you can try Netfiling with each of your name suggestions,
- file on paper.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You have a valid concern. This name variation situation happens a lot.

If you try to NetFile with a name that differs from what CRA have on file
for your SIN, your attempts may be rejected. Don't NetFile until you have this resolved.
Usually you should be able to resolve your name from your previous tax return and your Notice of Assessment. Obtain a copy of your 2013 T1 Return itself (not a summary) and see what was entered. If you are unable to do this, the following are my suggestions;

Do not rely on name variations provided by T slip issuers or on other receipts such as RRSP contribution slips from your bank, or even from other government sources.

- contact CRA by phone in person. Have yor 2013 Notice to hand.
- login to your My Account for CRA if you have one, and check your name
- in the event you get no information, you can try Netfiling with each of your name suggestions,
- file on paper.

Roque,did this help? Pls vote up my answer if yes, as it can help others decide what to do!  Thx and have a great day.
rhoque

CRA told me in their record my name has 3 parts. In that regard, in TurboTax Standard version should I put First Name and Middle Name in First Name textbox area?

Try that first. It that doesn't work, try it with your middle name in the surname field.