Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JeffG2020

Customer Service

I am using TurboTax Canada online edition for self-employed.

First issue. I prepared returns for both my parents. One of last steps is medical expenses. Your software would not let each parent claim their own medical expenses separately. Supposedly a known deficiency from past years. Why not just fix it? I was told I had to start over and prepare the returns separately and also needed to re-input all the data into each separate return. Very frustrating. (Also, your software doesn't allow all possible options for Disability Tax Credit and Attendant Care expenses and, in fact, if you answer questions correctly it prepares the return in a manner NOT permitted by CRA - not optimal! I had to build my own spreadsheet on the side to max out legally permitted deductions. Not that hard, you should be able to fix the software to do this.)

Second issue. This year, as in past years, I prepared returns for myself and my wife together. In past years I was charged the price for the self-employed edition (this year $45 +tax) for my return and the price of the basic edition (this year $20 + tax) for my wife's return as she is not self-employed and only needs a basic return. This year I was charged $45 for each return. When I called to correct, I was told too bad, CSR would not even acknowledge that you had changed the policy, and I was told I could "easily" rectify the problem by starting over and redoing both returns separately. Seems to be your "go to" answer for every problem! For $25 + tax I was not prepared to start both returns over from scratch!! I would appreciate a credit for the difference I overpaid. Thank you. 

[NB: The second problem is exacerbated by the fact you encourage folks to complete returns first, and only after completion arrive at the payment desk where you get hit with the "surprise".]

1 Reply
TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

Customer Service

1. Medical Expenses: if you prepare returns together, it is optimized to add all the medical expenses under one taxpayer with the lowest net income to maximize the refund. Otherwise, you have to prepare two separate returns or use TurboTax Desktop/Download to override: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/tax-credits-expenses/help/how-do-i-enter-my-medical-e...
  2. Attendant care: CRA rule > to claim the DTC, the attendant care claim cannot exceed $10,000. Or, disregard the DTC and claim more than $10,000 in attendant care. If you are claiming the DTC, you can not claim $1 in nursing home expenses, you have to choose between both. 
  3. As for the payment: in prior years, the self-employed product was more extensive and the spouse return was for $19.99. This year we offer this product for less for both returns. The business sheet T2125 is available in all our products, you have the choice to use any other product or use the self-employed for both spouses for better optimization, or file separate returns.

If you still have issues, please contact our support line:  https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/contact/

I hope this was helpful