Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RFSage

Data Metric message in notepad

Hello,

I am using TurboTax 2021 on a windows 11 Asus laptop. Every time I start turbotax I get a data metrics message in notepad. Turbotax still works but it is a nuisance.

I can't find any information on how to fix this. 

Regards

Ron

10 Replies
Entropy42

I am getting the same Data Metric Log popping up on my desktop Notepad. It seems to have started after the last Microsoft update to Windows 11, but not sure. It appears just after the start of the app and I believe it is related to the automatic connection to the Intuit server to check for TurboTax updates. Perhaps the Intuit server is down or has an issue.   Not a positive reflection of Intuit support quality.   

RFSage

I uninstalled and then reinstalled turbo tax and it fixed the problem.

Mirek-T

Reinstall does not fix this. After fresh install of Win11 and Tubotax I still get the data_metrics.log created on my desktop. I don't think TurboTax was modified to be compatible with Win 11. Scary!

Entropy42

It has just spontaneously stopped the notepad message for my Turbotax - so I suspect they have updated the program to be compatible with Windows 11 - finally!   Better late than never!  

Mirek-T

Lucky you! I am building new computer. Win11 all new, and updated to the latest greatest. TurboTax fresh new install, and updated as well. The problem persists, and the last thing one wants is for tax and money management software to show ANY glitches, and cast doubts on trust and reliability 

Entropy42

Well it looks like I am only half lucky - TurboTax on my desktop (win 11) works fine, BUT on my laptop it still gets the notepad message (runs Win10).  No idea why.   Intuit needs to up their support game!

Please make sure that you re-install it on your laptop. This error was corrected and it should work fine. If you are still experiencing issues, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 who can view your screen and assist further.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Entropy42

I have re-installed TurboTax 2021 twice on my laptop (win 10) but the problem remains - my desktop works fine (win 11). No idea why it does this.

Ed 

Mirek-T

I am not sure if I understand the proposed solution.

• I have reinstalled TT before, and this did not fix the issue
  • My installation files are still the same
  • My Windows OS is still the same level
  • TT checks and updates itself on every launch
  • So... what changed? How was the problem solved?

Also, my TT is installed on desktop computer, not a laptop (not sure if this is relevant).

Please advise,

Thank you