Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marg1

Do I have to repay my EI if I make less than $64,125?

My T4E box 7 has a repayment rate of 30%. According to CRA it says: You do not have to repay your EI benefits if: your 2017 net income is less than $64,125. I don't make half of that in a year. I probably don't make that in 2 years. The repayment chart boxes are all zero. I have nothing to add or minus up because lines 213,234,117,125 are all zero. After I added all my income and everything it still says I owe when I think I should be exempt from paying. Do I still have to repayment my employment insurance? 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

marg1, you are correct in thinking you are not subject to the EI Clawback.  As you can see from the following link, it only affects people who are above the net income threshold.  In 2017, that threshold is, as you noted, $64,125.  This threshold tends to increase a little each year, normally dependant on the inflation rate.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/ei/ei-list/reports/repayment.html

View solution in original post

3 Replies

marg1, you are correct in thinking you are not subject to the EI Clawback.  As you can see from the following link, it only affects people who are above the net income threshold.  In 2017, that threshold is, as you noted, $64,125.  This threshold tends to increase a little each year, normally dependant on the inflation rate.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/ei/ei-list/reports/repayment.html

I understand your concern.  You should enter all the amounts that are listed on the T4E but most likely the repayment amount will not apply to you.

Nongap

My net income is well under $66,375 and I have not claimed EI benefits in the last 10 years except for $1,410 in 2019. When I entered the T4E information in turbo tax $1,410 in Box 14 and $174 in Box 22, my refund dropped by 30%.  According to what I have read, I should not be penalized.  What can I do about this to remove this error?