Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Downloaded 2020 Turbotax Standard will not Launch

Hello, 

I downloaded my 2020 TT Standard edition and it appears to have installed fine. When it attempts to start, I get the splash screen, then a rectangle screen with the title and empty white space where the window content should be placed. I am assuming that this is the activation code screen, but I'm not sure. 

I've used TurboTax for many years without any install problems, but on an older machine. This year I am on a newer machine with the latest Windows Home 10 install, 11th generation i5, 16GB RAM, and 1TB hard drive, so the machine should be more than able to handle any program. 

Please provide guidance on what should be the next steps as I would like to remain with TurboTax if possible.

Thank you.

13 Replies
Returning Member

As a follow-up, I notice that there are issues on the US install as well. I tried the items in the link, https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-activation-2020/01/1743923#M618852, but with no success. I had high hopes that the 800x600 resolution would work, but it didn't. 

Given that it is a 32 bit app, it probably has some untested old code causing the issue with the new windows 10 release.

Returning Member

Same problem here. Turbotax 2020 Standard download and install worked fine, but on launch the program checks for an update then displays an empty white program window. Wondering if the issue is that there is no update yet for this new release and the exception isn't handled.

Win 10 Home 19042.685.11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz. 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor.

Returning Member

Hello,

I had posted here with the hope of a resolution for the issue I outlined. At this point, I have wasted money on a broken product that is of no use to me. I don't care about community badges, but rather I would like to get to use the product I have purchased.

Is there not someone from Intuit able to provide support for this issue? Please consider this a request for help. 

Thank you. 

Returning Member

Hi Stuart,

I feel your pain. A Google search got me to the top-secret support page via the US web site:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/contact/#/search/I%2520D%252FL%2520and%2520installed%2520Turbotax....

Naturally they're only open "business hours" so I will try them on Monday.

Disappointing that actual support (as opposed to quick Q&A and community help) is impossible to find on their site.

Returning Member

Secret support phone number is [phone number removed]. Only available if you fill in an web form and submit from a cell phone -- doesn't work from a desktop PC -- great if you're doing your taxes on cell phone running Windows 10.

I held for 20 minutes and then got disconnected.

Second time I got a live operator who asked all the same info already entered on the web form.

Returning Member

Won triple ate

ate too niner

ate six oh ate

Returning Member

Hi Stuart, I have the exact same issue.  Worked fine for years on old computer but this year I'm on a new Windows 10 Home, intel i7, 16GB, 500GB touchscreen desktop.  It's updated with the latest Windows 10 - version 20H2. I did place a call with Intuit already and shared my screen with an Intuit support person.  She advised the blank screen is where you are supposed to be able to enter your License code.  She said it must be my PC/Windows 10 and to talk to Microsoft.  She suggested it may be related to my version of Microsoft Visual C++ which TurboTax uses; however, my PC was using the version (2015) TurboTax downloads/installs during the TurboTax installation process.  I've also tried the latest version of MS Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x64) and the (x86) but no change. 

This is way more work than the purchaser of any software product should have to go through.  I suspect that once enough people call and complain, Intuit will realize there's an issue with their product and fix it - hopefully.  Intuit, feel free to jump in and respond please!

Returning Member

Sad that MicroSoft failed to test their product for compatibility with TurboTax.

I think it may be time to take this to social media.

Returning Member

I went through the Intuit US Community link Stuart referred to and noticed it mentions the latest version of Windows 10 and PCs with SSD drives.  My new PC has both.  Launching TurboTax in compatibility mode didn't work and neither did trying to launch it in lower screen resolution 800x600.  So, I'm still hooped.

Luckily I still have my old PC and may keep it around longer, just to do taxes.

v