Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Mar 29, 2022 4:45:24 PM

Error ERR.029 from CRA site for second download for joint tax return preparation

I am preparing my 2021 tax return along with my spouse and have successfully downloaded my CRA information slips through my CRA account.  Since I am doing a joint file with my spouse it prompts me for my spouses CRA connection information and it progresses all the way through to the end of the security prompts when it then displays an error message with a label of ERROR ERR.029 Session timeout.  I have reviewed the TurboTax online help for ERR.029 and it is not a valid description as the link refers to a CRA document for RDSP submission not CRA download of tax information into TurboTax.

I also tried various way to just pull the second set of file for my spouse to no avail, and yes the login information for my spouse to CRA is correct.  Is there an issue where two attempts at extracting CRA data in a row for the combined filing is prohibited?

0 13 5038
13 Replies
Apr 7, 2022 10:45:40 AM

Are you able to log in directly to the Canada Revenue Agency’s (CRA) My Account service? If you can’t then there might be a problem with your login information or your account.

If you are able to log in to your CRA My Account and are still getting this error, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

Level 2
Apr 27, 2022 7:51:33 AM

I'm experiencing the identical problem.    My CRA data is imported as expected.    When trying to import my wife's CRA data, I received the error 029 "sessions timed out error".    The error appears to be coming from the CRA site, not from TurboTax.    My wife has a CRA account, and we can log in without any trouble when using the browser directly.  We're using our banking login partner.     It appears that TurboTax is doing something differently for the spousal login.     There are 158 tax slips waiting in my wife's account.    I have them printed...but not looking forward to entering them all one at a time.      Something is broken in TurboTax 2021.   I'm currently on hold at the tech support number.

Since the first return seems to download fine...please advise how I can complete my return in such a way that my wife's data is shown first...and I'm second.    I only have 4 tax slips so I could easily enter them manually.

Level 2
Apr 27, 2022 9:17:55 AM

OK...I think I have this figured out.   I spent an extended period on the TurboTax phone support struggling with a language difference.   No progress  made from the support call.

Since my wife had a ton of tax slips and I only had 3, I started a brand new return...but this time I put my wife's name first, and me as the spouse.     Although it took some time to answer all of the questions again, the CRA download of my wife's tax slips worked perfectly 🙂           I then tried my own.   The first attempt provided an Error 082 from CRA.   It seems that CRA MyAccount thinks that my wife is trying to log in to my MyAccount.    The error message tells me that I need to set my wife up as a "representative".    After going around in circles on the CRA web site I gave up trying to set her up as a representative.   I'll just enter my 3 tax slips manually.

TurboTax...pay attention!   You need to work with CRA to have them understand that the access to the CRA account is determined by the person who logs in to CRA MyAccount.    For some reason, the first return in a spousal pair in TT2021 is being flagged as the person trying to log in the second CRA account.   This is a mess.  It didn't use to be that way.    Please coordinate with CRA and get this figured out.

Level 3
May 1, 2022 6:03:49 AM

Hi,  I am having similar problems.

I unable to import and it is indicating that there are no slips.  I have logged into my CRA account and the slips are there.  I have tried different browsers and cleared out the cookie cache. I've been trying for 2 days. 

I noticed a 188 number is this the support phone number? 

May 3, 2022 5:36:55 AM

@John___D thank you very much for that information. We will pass that on to our experts. 

@102rosa yes, you can absolutely call that number for support.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Level 1
May 30, 2022 7:41:50 AM

I have same problem but now it's both account, my wife and me who receive the error ERR.029.
I cannot even finish to fill my taxes now. :(

Level 6
May 30, 2022 8:50:10 AM

Thank you @WhiteGecko- for your feedback in the other post : When you import first slips and enter CRA login info after finishing to import the information open a new tab in the browser and go to revenue agency and login using the same login information. You will see you are still logged in. Log out then go back to turbotax and enter credential for the next person (wife/husband). Then it will work.
The reason is that when you import from turbotax then after that you stay logged in the revenue agency website. When CRA pop-up window from turbotax closes it does not log you out.

Level 3
Apr 22, 2023 7:31:14 AM

Hi Brenda

I tried that.  It didn't work. I had to manually input the information.  It was very frustrating (please note, I am under stating my frustration) considering the advantage of this software is the import feature. 

I am hope I am not as frustrating when I start the 2022 returns. 

Rosa 

Level 1
Sep 3, 2023 10:33:07 AM

I have done this several times and when we go to CRA to log in my partner, it brings up my SIN and not his. It says, I may still be logged in. This is very frustrating since I have gone to the website in a new tab and logged in/out. I know I am not logged in anymore, but we cannot log my partner in. 

Apr 20, 2024 10:41:27 AM

I am totally frustrated with TurboTax with trying to download my partner's tax slips from CRA using TurboTax limited and inadequate instructions. I have downloaded mine tax slips, but have tried all kinds of logging in and out of CRA and TurboTaxand there is just no way I can get my partner's downloaded.

I have read through all these replies and there was no help there either. It seems everyone is annoyed as the only way around it is by inputting the info manually! Really! 

This is so frustrating and I don't have time for this.

If anyone has answers, let this forum know!

Janet

Apr 20, 2024 10:57:16 AM

@JanetMT Try logging into your partner's CRA account, and then start the auto-fill process. If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

Level 3
Apr 20, 2024 11:14:51 AM

Hi Janet.

there is a limit on how many t-slips you are allowed to download. I saw a message in the community board.  30 tslips! 

I don’t understand why turbo tax doesn’t put this information on their website and boxes. I would be purchasing other software if I knew.

Level 1
Apr 28, 2024 12:39:36 PM

Here is my work-around to the ERR.029 error from CRA when importing data for joint TurboxTax files. For the purpose of this example, assume you have a couple named Jack and Jill. Also, I am assuming that Microsoft Edge is configured as your DEFAULT BROWSER in Windows.

1. Using TurboTax, open the single TurboxTax file for Jack and Jill.
  2. Using the Microsoft Edge browser, go to the CRA website and log into the CRA account for Jack.
  3. In TurboTax, select Jack's return.
  4. In TurboTax, do File --> Import Data from CRA. Since you are already logged into Jack's account, the data should download with no issues. Wait till it completes.
  5. Go back to Microsoft Edge and log out of Jack's CRA account. This is VERY important, otherwise you'll get the ERR.029.
  6. In Microsoft Edge, log into Jill's CRA account.
  7. In TurboTax, select Jill's return.
  8. Do File --> Import Data from CRA. Since you are already logged into Jill's account, the data should download with no issues. Wait till it completes.
  9. In Microsoft Edge, log out of Jill's CRA account.
  10. You're done.