Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing joint - do we get one refund/amount owing to cover both of us? Or two separate?

My common law partner and I are filing in Ontario as joint.

We were going to select the option to just complete the whole form online together, but wanted to know whether that means TurboTax will calculate just one singular total amount outstanding/to be refunded that covers us both, or whether it will still calculate an amount owing/to be refunded for each of us separately?

1 Reply

Filing joint - do we get one refund/amount owing to cover both of us? Or two separate?

All returns are filed separately, even if you prepare a couples return together. There is no "joint filing" in Canada like there is in some other countries. Each spouse/partner will have their own refund/balance owing calculated. If one person owes and the other one is getting a refund, you can’t use the one spouse’s refund to pay the other’s tax bill. The person who owes has to pay, and the person who doesn’t will get their refund.

In TurboTax, the balance owing/refund amount shown in the top left corner will be a combined number. But you can see the individual balances on in the Detailed Summary.

This FAQ shows you how to get to the Detailed Summary in TurboTax Online: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/tax-return-status/help/how-can-i-see-a-detailed-summa...

To get to the Detailed Summary in TurboTax CD/Download, just click on the balance owing/refund amount shown in the top left corner. Or in Forms mode, search for DSUM.