Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rdbiehn

Why did my refund drop $1K when I logged in and started moving ahead with my return? I didn't change anything

I logged in yesterday (Jan 26), started reviewing what I had entered, and suddenly my refund dropped. Did something change in the calculation or why would that have happened? When I use the competitor's software I'm getting a bigger refund, so what's wrong with Turbo Tax.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why did my refund drop $1K when I logged in and started moving ahead with my return? I didn't change anything

Thank you for posting this. I have spoken with our product developers and this is a known issue in the Online version that will be fixed for the next TurboTax Online update.

THE ISSUE

Who is affected: Users who started a return in the R1 release of TurboTax Online (between Jan 8-Jan 22) and claimed a Spousal Amount deduction

The user would have then logged back into their account after January 22nd, when we released our R2 update. At that point in time, the taxpayer may have noticed that their refund decreased.

Why is this happening:

We added a new question to our Online Tax engine after the 1st release. This particular question was added to allow the user not to claim the spousal credit, but instead claim the eligible dependent credit in a rare situation. For reasons still unknown, the credit for users who had started a return before R2 switches to No, don’t claim, instead of the default setting YES, Claim

There are currently no workarounds available. Affected users will have to wait until the R3 update scheduled for February 4th 2015.  Once the update is in place, users will see that the spousal amount is being calculated correctly and the refund will reflect the correct amount. 

Please post here if you have any questions or concerns.

- Clint

View solution in original post

13 Replies
rdbiehn

I see that the spousal credit has disappeared. Can't get it back right now - software bug?

Maybe there is...stay tuned for a fix or a response from Turbotax.
rdbiehn

Looks like this has been fixed

Thank you for posting this. I have spoken with our product developers and this is a known issue in the Online version that will be fixed for the next TurboTax Online update.

THE ISSUE

Who is affected: Users who started a return in the R1 release of TurboTax Online (between Jan 8-Jan 22) and claimed a Spousal Amount deduction

The user would have then logged back into their account after January 22nd, when we released our R2 update. At that point in time, the taxpayer may have noticed that their refund decreased.

Why is this happening:

We added a new question to our Online Tax engine after the 1st release. This particular question was added to allow the user not to claim the spousal credit, but instead claim the eligible dependent credit in a rare situation. For reasons still unknown, the credit for users who had started a return before R2 switches to No, don’t claim, instead of the default setting YES, Claim

There are currently no workarounds available. Affected users will have to wait until the R3 update scheduled for February 4th 2015.  Once the update is in place, users will see that the spousal amount is being calculated correctly and the refund will reflect the correct amount. 

Please post here if you have any questions or concerns.

- Clint

Finally an answer that makes sense

Has the Feb 4th update occurred?

Haven't had a reply back from TurboTax yet....

The update is expected to happen later today or tomorrow, depending on how the release testing goes. Sorry I can't provide any more details.

Has this matter been fixed yet?