Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
justbois

Foreign Income - tax inceases

I am trying to figure out why when I input the foreign income of my spouse that the amount of MY balance due goes negative and my taxes increases?

1 Reply

Foreign Income - tax inceases

We appreciate you choosing TurboTax,

Taxpayers in Canada are responsible for income tax on their worldwide income. Thus, individuals are required to report foreign source income such as foreign employment income, foreign investment income, foreign pension income, etc. on their income tax return each year.

Please read (Completing a couple's return)

The process of including information about your partner on your tax return is fairly straightforward, but determining which credits or expenses to claim on each return can be confusing.

TurboTax offers coupled returns, starting with TurboTax Standard products, prepared simultaneously. Whenever you use TurboTax, you and your spouse are prompted to enter information, and as you enter details, the software crunches the numbers and determines who is eligible for which credits, optimizing your returns to minimize overall taxes owed and maximize refunds and tax credits.

Additionally, TurboTax helps you avoid mistakes people make when filing as married or common-law, which is crucial since if you file incorrectly, the CRA may reassess your returns, and if you owe additional taxes, may impose additional interest and penalties.

Please visit the link provided for further clarifications:

CRA: Line 10400 - Foreign employment income

TurboTax: How do I report foreign income, foreign pension, and other foreign amounts?

TurboTax: Facts Every Canadian Needs to Know About Filing Coupled Tax Returns

Please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter if you require further assistance.