Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DG11

What is the dollar amount to claim for short haul trucking? My husband takes loads out everyday and is away from the terminal for over 8 hours a day.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What is the dollar amount to claim for short haul trucking? My husband takes loads out everyday and is away from the terminal for over 8 hours a day.

There isn't really anything for short-haul drivers.  With most of the transport deductions, there is an expectation that they are away from home long enough to need lodging.  They can claim meals only, when they usually claim for lodging, but may have stayed elsewhere occasionally.  Otherwise it is no different for any of us going to work and coming home at the end of the day.  CRA expects us to eat breakfast and dinner at home and pack a lunch.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/ic73-21r9/ic73-21r9-e.pdf

View solution in original post

5 Replies

There isn't really anything for short-haul drivers.  With most of the transport deductions, there is an expectation that they are away from home long enough to need lodging.  They can claim meals only, when they usually claim for lodging, but may have stayed elsewhere occasionally.  Otherwise it is no different for any of us going to work and coming home at the end of the day.  CRA expects us to eat breakfast and dinner at home and pack a lunch.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/ic73-21r9/ic73-21r9-e.pdf

DG11

This is not correct for truckers that are away from their home terminal over 160 KM for over 12 hours a day!!!!

Exactly, but your comment has nothing to do with the original question or the answer.
DG11

Gosh Delphision - be rude why don't you!! It has everything to do with the question and answer. DO NOT RESPOND to me again - I have no time for people with no manners!!!!!

Still has nothing to do with the original question which specified 8 hours.