Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I enter data into Gas Expenses? HST and GST .What do I do if I didn't take my km on my car for the year.

I am a Sole Proprietor and entering my expenses for gas only. I traveled a total of 5916 Km and my work period was for 11 wks.  I have my gas receipts but unsure how to enter them.  Can you please advise? or give me an example.  HST and GST has me a confused.

I also did not take my km amount on my car before I started work so total km for the year I am unsure. The year 2014 was my first year as Sole Proprietor.

Please answer my two questions. 

Thank you

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Sally71

How do I enter data into Gas Expenses? HST and GST .What do I do if I didn't take my km on my car for the year.

Gas expenses is part of vehicle expenses.  If you are in a province where HST is applicable such as Ontario, then you claim HST on your tax return.  If you reside in a province with GST / PST such as the prairie provinces or BC then you claim GST on your tax return, providing that you do not do a separate GST/HST return to CRA.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Sally71

Gas expenses is part of vehicle expenses.  If you are in a province where HST is applicable such as Ontario, then you claim HST on your tax return.  If you reside in a province with GST / PST such as the prairie provinces or BC then you claim GST on your tax return, providing that you do not do a separate GST/HST return to CRA.

jottec

how to claim hst refund on gas and fuel