Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tiadna
Returning Member

how to reactivate after maximum activations

Hi,

We have used all the activations for our desktop turbotax. My son's computer broke recently and now we can't activate it on his new computer. Is there a workaround for this situation?

17 Replies

Unfortunately, once you have used all of your activations then you will not be able to transfer it to a new computer. 

If you are speaking of only the returns being all used up but you have never put this software on a second computer- then yes,  you will be able to download your TurboTax software on your new computer but you will not be able to complete anymore returns. Here is the link to download your software to a new computer and please make sure that you have your license code ready. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

tiadna
Returning Member

Our CD desktop version allows 5 activations and 5 returns. I share this with my 3 kids who file their returns online. I install TT on my 2 laptops at home(one as a backup). So one of my kids computers broke and now he's stuck. He had a legit activation. So do we have to go out and buy a new TT everytime someone's computer breaks? I had similar issues with Microsoft Office and they always allow it if you uninstall or your PC breaks. 

tiadna
Returning Member

Just talked to TT customer service. They go by activations regardless of uninstalls or broken computers. If you are maxed out, then you have to buy a new copy. I told them it's an unfriendly business model to customers. Not sure why they would limit the activations when they already limit the tax returns filed. Oh well. 

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated. We will be sure that we forward this to the appropriate team.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

antho11

It is November 2022 now almost three months after the question to Turbotax support.  I do not see anywhere on the community Forum a solution to the problem.

I have the same problem. Share the TB software with my kids. My old computer broke and installed  TB-2021 on a new laptop but I am denied activation that because I have reached my maximum.

If I ask one of my kids to uninstall from his computer, would I be able to  activate the software on the new laptop?

Thanks

Franco

Yes, you should be able to download the software on another laptop once it is uninstalled on the old laptop.

If you are still having problems, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact us please follow this link: Contact Us form. 

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

daniellafleur
Returning Member

WE just have to uninstall from one PC and I will be able to install on another.  No desactivation required?

TurboTax download can be installed on 3 different computers using the same activation or licence  code. No need to uninstall unless you decide to. It is the number of returns you can produce with the software you purchased that will not increase unless you pay for additional returns, in that same software. When you install TurboTax on different computers for different people, remember that the returns already completed are visible to everyone. 

Basic is 4 returns - Standard is 8 returns - Premier is 12 returns. 

To purchase additional returns in the software you already use, select Tools from the top menu, then select Show Tax Centre and Purchase more returns.

Thank you for choosing Turbotax

daniellafleur
Returning Member

I do not install the software to other people PC. It was install on one VM windows 10 on my old MAC and on one physical PC. Now I want install it on a new VM windows 11 on my new MAC. I would like to deactivate the license on my physical PC to be able to install it on my new MAC (using visual PC). 

Even if I deinstall it for from my PC I still have the activation error on my VM installation.

Daniel