Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am getting code: #513 when trying to netfile for 2018 and CRA rejects it. I tried suggestions and all of them check out but still getting error code 513. Why?

Here are the details (and BTW, all these lines are filled automatically through easy steps, and all other years I had no problems):
Code: #513   - One or more of the following situations exists on your return:  
1. You entered an amount on line 5914 of your provincial or territorial Schedule 11 for eligible tuition fees paid without an entry on line 320 of your federal Schedule 11, or vice versa.  
2. Box 345 has not been ticked on your federal Schedule 11 to indicate part-time enrollment due to effects of impairment. You entered the number of months enrolled as a part-time student in box 325 without an entry on line 5916 of your provincial or territorial Schedule 11 for the part-time education (and textbook) amount, or vice versa.  
3. You entered the number of months enrolled as a full-time student in box 328 of your federal Schedule 11 without an entry on line 5918 of your provincial or territorial Schedule 11 for the full-time education (and textbook) amount, or vice versa.  

Please review your entries on these lines and make the necessary adjustments.

Has anyone encounter the same?
2 Replies
AJN4

I am getting code: #513 when trying to netfile for 2018 and CRA rejects it. I tried suggestions and all of them check out but still getting error code 513. Why?

I have the very same message, have redone the taxes and am coming up with the same error?   Is this a software glitch?

Do you have tuition?

If you are in Ontario or Saskatchewan, there are two columns on the tuition fees (Deductions>Students>Tuition Fees) page. One column will have a date range (Jan 1 - XXXX) and the other that says “Total For 2017” on top. The “Total For 2017” is for the federal tax credit, and there you can claim any eligible tuition that you paid during any part of the year. The Jan 1 - XXXX column is for the provincial tax credit. If you have eligible tuition for that part of the year, you must fill out this column with those part-year amounts (including full/part-time months) to get the provincial credit.

If you are still having the error code please contact our customer service so they can view your screen and assist you.