English EN

Pick a language

Canada Français United States of America English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mr--X

I have a couple of questions regarding whether or not I need to file a tax return.

To begin with, I'll just fill you in on my situation:

- I'm a British citizen who lived in Toronto from September 2012 to September 2014 (back in the UK now).

- During my time in Toronto, I had two jobs, which lasted between 21/01/2013 - 02/08/2013, and 15/10/2013 - 24/01/2014.

- I've already filed a return for 2013.

So my question is twofold:

1. Do I need to file a tax return for 2014?

2. Should I have filed a tax return for 2012?

Thank you very much. Please don't hesitate to ask if you need more details.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Sally71

I have a couple of questions regarding whether or not I need to file a tax return.

You have to file a tax return for 2014 because you lived and worked in Canada for most of the year.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Sally71

You have to file a tax return for 2014 because you lived and worked in Canada for most of the year.

Mr--X

Thanks Sally. What about 2012, should I have filed a return for that year?
Sally71

Yes you should as well.  If you worked and do not have a T4 slip, then Canada Revenue should have a copy on file for you.  If you did not work, then the income is zero.  Please specify the date you first came to Canada on your 2012, and the date you left Canada on your 2014 tax return.
The international tax office service in Ottawa will process your 2012 tax return: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cntct/ntrntnlnqrs-eng.html
v