Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jefftam21

I just received my refund that I filed electronically , but the amount is $2000 less than it was supposed to be. Please let me know how to find out what happened.thanks

1 Reply

I just received my refund that I filed electronically , but the amount is $2000 less than it was supposed to be. Please let me know how to find out what happened.thanks

As we can't see the tax return you filed using TurboTax, here's what you need to do to determine why the amount of your refund differs from what you submitted.

You should first do a line by line comparison between your Notice of Assessment (NOA) and the PDF file of the TurboTax return you filed. Your NOA may also tell you if there was a change made to what you filed. Often times there is an extra tax slip out there (T4 from a little job you missed, or T4E for EI benefits you thought were paid in the prior year), and CRA will add this to your tax return when they assess it.

If you are still unable to determine yourself where the difference lies, you should contact the CRA General Enquiries number and ask for an explanation. They can be reached at 1-800-959-8281.