Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Jan 28, 2020 10:41:33 AM

I'm trying to figure out how to report "GST collected for the tax year". Do I put down the amount before or after I deduct ITC?

0 3 3273
1 Best answer
Jan 30, 2020 9:58:17 AM

If your husband is registered for a GST number, then you don’t put any GST amounts on his personal return. So if his total income is $1050 with GST included, then you would only put $1000 for Total Income, and then leave the GST/PST box empty. It’s the same with other figures – if he bought $250 in supplies, you would only put in $237.50 and leave the sales tax out. The GST return already has how much he collected in GST and how much he paid in GST, so it’s not needed here.

3 Replies
Jan 29, 2020 5:15:28 PM

If you are GST/HST registered and file a GST/HST Return for your business, don’t include GST/HST in any of your amounts on your personal self-employment form. You’ll put the GST/HST earned and incurred on the GST/HST Return itself, and get your ITCs from there. Leave the GST, HST and PST box empty.

If you’re not GST/HST registered, then you would include GST/HST on all amounts you enter on your personal self-employment form. In the GST, HST and PST box, you would put any sales tax that you included in your income in the Total Revenue box at the top of the page.

If you have TurboTax Live Assist & Review, this FAQ shows how to talk to a Tax Expert: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/navigating-turbotax/help/i-m-using-turbotax-live-assist-review-how-do-i-talk-to-a-tax-expert/00/873764

Level 2
Jan 29, 2020 8:46:28 PM

I'm sorry I just want to clarify. My husband has a GST number so will complete a GST return. So I don't enter any GST amounts anywhere in TurboTax? I wouldn't even enter the GST my husband billed customers for and collected from them? Right now I have the total amount he billed as his income, and the GST he billed his customers in the GST box.

To be clearer: say my husband billed $1000 in materials and labour all year, and he billed his customers an additional $50 in GST over the year. Right now I have his total income as $1050 and in the GST box I have $50. Because he will be filing a GST return, should I have $1000 in his income and $50 in the GST box?

I actually did assist and review the other day, the expert I spoke to didn't mention anything about the GST amount being there, so I'm confused. But maybe I wasn't clear that my husband is filing a GST return.

Jan 30, 2020 9:58:17 AM

If your husband is registered for a GST number, then you don’t put any GST amounts on his personal return. So if his total income is $1050 with GST included, then you would only put $1000 for Total Income, and then leave the GST/PST box empty. It’s the same with other figures – if he bought $250 in supplies, you would only put in $237.50 and leave the sales tax out. The GST return already has how much he collected in GST and how much he paid in GST, so it’s not needed here.