Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm using TurboTax to carry forward prior Profile info but it's not recognizing that the wife is deceased and I cannot remove her from the 2017 filing, how do I fix this?

3 Replies

I'm using TurboTax to carry forward prior Profile info but it's not recognizing that the wife is deceased and I cannot remove her from the 2017 filing, how do I fix this?

I'm sorry for your loss.

When you transfer your return from last year, right at the beginning TurboTax asks if anything has changed. This is where to let TurboTax know that your wife passed away. Then, TurboTax will let you know that your returns can't be prepared together this year and give the option to separate the returns.

Here's how to start a new return: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3288128

Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure that the issue has been resolved. I actually started the return using the process you suggested before posting my help request.

However, since she had passed away in 2016 (as filed last year, 2017, for the 2016 Return), I was unable to proceed forward with the change for the 2017 return - the date preceded the current tax year. I've attached the error message to my original post.

I appreciate your help and thanks for your assistance.

I don't think you shouldn't have been able to prepare your returns together at the same time last year (tax year 2016) because your spouse passed away during the tax year.

To transfer just your return forward, breaking it apart from your spouse's, select the option that you lived apart at the end of the year and that your marital status changed. Then, when you select Continue, TurboTax will give you the option to transfer your return apart from your spouse's.