Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Mar 7, 2024 8:34:53 PM

I moved from ON to QC only for school. Do I still say I moved and now live in QC as of December 31, 2023 even if its temporary? Or do I still use the main address in ON?

I moved my mailing information and everything to my QC address, but technically I still have my main address as my parent's residence in ON. I don't own any property and only rent. I also plan on moving back to ON after I finish school.

0 1 221
1 Replies
Mar 8, 2024 5:45:07 AM

Yes, you are correct, your principal residence address is Ontario even if you are living in Quebec for school. As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Determining an Individual’s Residence Status: Under normal conditions, a person files a tax return for the province in which they are residing on December 31 of the taxation year. Sometimes, a person may be considered to be a resident of a province even if they have temporarily relocated to another province. This could happen if the person was a student in a province where they do not normally reside. A person will be determined to be resident in the province in which they have the most significant residential ties. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.