Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to drive for Uber eats and cap myself at $30,000. Do I need to register for a gst/hst account in Ontario if I only make less then $30,000?

1 Reply

I want to drive for Uber eats and cap myself at $30,000. Do I need to register for a gst/hst account in Ontario if I only make less then $30,000?

We appreciate you choosing TurboTax,

As per CRA,  If you are a small supplier who makes taxable supplies of commercial ride-sharing services and other taxable supplies your registration will generally only apply in respect of your commercial ride-sharing services unless you request otherwise. This means that you will not be required to charge the GST/HST in respect of your other taxable supplies, nor will you be entitled to claim input tax credits (ITCs) in relation to those supplies (ITCs are explained later in this publication).

However, if your combined total annual revenue from taxable supplies of commercial ride-sharing services and other taxable supplies exceeds $30,000 (for example, $20,000 for commercial ride-sharing services and $15,000 for other taxable supplies), you will not be considered a small supplier. You will therefore be required to charge and collect tax on all of your revenues from your taxable supplies (the combined $35,000).

If you are already registered for the GST/HST, including with respect to another commercial activity, you are automatically considered to be registered with respect to your commercial ride-sharing services and are not required to apply for registration again.

Please visit the link provided for further clarifications:

CRA: GST/HST and Commercial Ride-sharing Services

Please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter if you require further assistance.