Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
null363

I work for a website and their location is different from where I work (at home). TurboTax won't let me file unless both are in the same location otherwise I get error

Basically I am filling my T2125. The website I work for is in Ontario (that's where their business address is). I live in BC and I work online. TurboTax won't let me file because my "permanent business location" (my home) is in BC, but the website location is in Ontario. And TurboTax requires a location to use Netfile. How do I get around this?
11 Replies

I work for a website and their location is different from where I work (at home). TurboTax won't let me file unless both are in the same location otherwise I get error

I think the best thing to do in this case, is to use the "Back" button to get out of that page. Then select "Self-Employment" to go back to the start of that section. Click the "Continue" button, then delete the business you are having troubles with, and start over, using your BC address.

null363

SO basically you are suggesting instead of using the website's home location address, I use my own?

If it's your business, you need to put your location, not theirs.
null363

It is not my business, it is theirs. I just work for them.

It's important that you make sure you are clear on whether you are self-employed or working as an employee for someone else. The T2125 is for business income and expenses - as in, you own your own business. If you have employment expenses, your employer must give you a T2200 (which will have their contact information on it), and you would use the t777.  You can read more on the topic on the CRA website: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/rc4110-employee-sel...
null363

What about independent Contractors?

An Independent Contractor would be considered self employed.

If you are not an employee of theirs or you aren't one of the owners of that company, then you don't need to include their information. You put your business location in BC.

null363

This is not possible. TurboTax forces you to write down the website's address and your province has to match. Otherwise Turbotax will give you a warning.