Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was on long term disibality from Jan 01 2017 to Jan 2018. Do I have to report the amount on my taxes this year. There was no taxes deducted from my income?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I was on long term disibality from Jan 01 2017 to Jan 2018. Do I have to report the amount on my taxes this year. There was no taxes deducted from my income?

If you paid the premiums for your Long Term Disability, then you will not have to report the income benefits you are receiving. 

If this is this case, you will not receive a tax slip and nothing needs to be reported on the tax return. 

You can state in TurboTax that you have "zero income" if you do not receive any other income whatsoever (otherwise you will get an error message).   

View solution in original post

5 Replies

What was the source of income ? Did you get a T-slip?

Long term disibality. But that is non taxable. So I put $0 as income right?

No t4 slip

Was this paid out from a private insurance policy for which YOU paid the premiums?

If you paid the premiums for your Long Term Disability, then you will not have to report the income benefits you are receiving. 

If this is this case, you will not receive a tax slip and nothing needs to be reported on the tax return. 

You can state in TurboTax that you have "zero income" if you do not receive any other income whatsoever (otherwise you will get an error message).