Invalid Child Care Error at final review (after wa...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tasco429
Level 1

Invalid Child Care Error at final review (after warnings)

I am pretty sure this is an error in the program.  I get the error listed below, however both dependants whom I have entered child care expenses for meet the criteria (they are my children, earn nothing, and are under 16.  One is designated as "equivalent to spouse", but that should not matter? I have another child who is a student, however I did not enter any child care expenses against this child, so again, it should not generate this error???)  As far as I can tell the two day care expenses (very small amouts - $120) are valid for two minor children born in 2009 and 2012, who have zero income.  Entering the child care expense claim triggered the Ontario Care payment - but again, nothing I have done should have generated this error????  Have i done something wrong or is this a program error?

"You have claimed childcare expenses for an ineligible dependant. For your dependant to be eligible for childcare expenses, they must be 16 or under on December 31, 2020 or have a mental or physical impairment. In addition, if the dependant is not your child, their net income must be less than $13,229. You will need to remove childcare expenses for any dependant who does not meet these conditions."
2 Replies
BenW
Level 1

I have the same issue by using TurboTax Download Premier version.

jelam321
Returning Member

I'm seeing the same problem with turbotax standard - I can't list my six-year-old's daycare expenses under either me (lower income so should be correct) or my husband. Both come up with the same invalid error in the review section.

v