Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DougSteele
Returning Member

Issues with line 11500

The CRA website for Line 11500 - Other pensions and superannuation says "Enter on line 11500 the amount shown in box 016 of your T4A slips and box 31 of your T3 slips."

I've entered one T4A (which has $20,698.92 in Box 16), and two T3 (neither of which have anything in Box 31), yet I'm seeing $42,279.28 on line 11500.

Since the return owes far more taxes than anticipated, I'm guessing I've made a mistake entering something. Where else can I look to see why the number on line 11500 is so high?
6 Replies

Issues with line 11500

Hi,

Did you receive foreign pension amounts or other pension amounts aside from the T4A slip?

Try also double clicking on the green amount on line 11500 (if you're working in Forms mode) and it will bring you to the slips section. Make sure that all the slips entered are correct and that there's no duplicates.

Thank you!

ecron
Returning Member

Issues with line 11500

The amount in line 11500 is 1/3 higher than in the the one pension form entered.  It is also higher than the Cdn pension plus US Social Security.  How does one find the breakdown for the total?

ecron
Returning Member

Issues with line 11500

OK that line 11500 has both my retirement pension from my employer and government pensions.  That corresponds to the very similar amount in my 2019 return.  Part of my employer's T4A form includes a non-indexed amount in box 109 that was granted me at the time of my retirement.  This amount figures as I manually calculate my pension income, and I get the amount of line 11500. 

This year, however, the T4A amount in box 109 ALSO gets included in the worksheet for Other Income, and I cannot delete it.  Consequently my total income is being stated as more or less that much higher than in 2019.  The 2019 total is the correct one and was not challenged in tax agency review.  Quebec simply has two slips for the indexed and non-indexed pension income, so no problem there. 

To repeat, if T4A box 109 is treated as Other Income, it should not be included in Pension Income, as it seems to be.

t

Loriexpat

Issues with line 11500

Hi.  I know your message is a few years old, but did you ever find out if there is a breakdown of line 11500?  I have both canadian and us income and since I can't see what TurboTax converted my foreign income to, I am getting a much different figure than if I do it manually.  I may have to just pay more to get an answer from Turbo tax but thought I'd try this first.

Thanks you!

Issues with line 11500

As per the CRA: 

Enter on line 11500 of your return:

• the amount from box 016 of your T4A slips and box 31 of your T3 slips
  • the gross amount of U.S. Social Security benefits that you received in Canadian dollars
  • any gross foreign pension income in Canadian dollars

If you are 65 years of age or older on December 31, 2023, or, regardless of your age, you received an amount from an annuity, PRPP, or RRIF upon the death of your spouse or common-law partner (even if the amount is transferred to an RRSP), enter on line 11500 of your return all of the following:

• the amount from box 024, box 133 or box 194 of your T4A slips
  • the amount from box 16 and box 22 of your T4RIF slips (if the amount from box 22 is negative, enter it on line 23200 instead)
  • the amount from box 19 of your T5 slips

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

JackC3

Issues with line 11500

I've just been through this issue with Line 11500.   The balance in Line 11500 also includes T4RIF income.  Check the general definition for what goes on that line.  There may be other pension-type income as well.  TurboTax does NOT provide a schedule which reconciles with the total amount at Line 11500 unfortunately.  I have suggested to a staff person that this be included in the next update.