Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jakfj

How far back -how many years- can you claim for GST/HST credit not received due to not filling tax return ? How would you then proceed to file for that claim? MuchThanks

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How far back -how many years- can you claim for GST/HST credit not received due to not filling tax return ? How would you then proceed to file for that claim? MuchThanks

You can file tax returns for 2016 and the previous 9 years if you have not already done so. Certain credits including the GST credit will be paid retroactively, other credits such as CPP/EI overpayments and various provincial credits will only be paid for 3 prior years. You can use Turbo Tax to prepare your 2014, 2015 and 2016 tax returns online. And additional prior years with our software are available as a download.

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-software/prior-year-taxes.jsp#2014

Older Revenue Canada tax packages can be found here.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/formspubs/t1gnrl/llyrs-eng.html

View solution in original post

11 Replies

You can file tax returns for 2016 and the previous 9 years if you have not already done so. Certain credits including the GST credit will be paid retroactively, other credits such as CPP/EI overpayments and various provincial credits will only be paid for 3 prior years. You can use Turbo Tax to prepare your 2014, 2015 and 2016 tax returns online. And additional prior years with our software are available as a download.

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-software/prior-year-taxes.jsp#2014

Older Revenue Canada tax packages can be found here.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/formspubs/t1gnrl/llyrs-eng.html

It is my understanding that the application process was amended in 2014 but not the entitlement. Make sure to indicate a request for the rebate in 2013 and earlier years when filing.

It looks as though the GST credit will only go back to 2014 as well.

Per CRA:

The Canada Revenue Agency will automatically determine your eligibility when you file your next income tax and benefit return for the 2014 and later tax years.

Terry is correct.  This merely refers to the method of applying, NOT eligibility.
salmaktat

Hi ! I recently sent an RC151 to get GST credit but I am a permanent resident since 2016 so I wonder whether CRA will make the retroactive payments for past year automatically or should I claim a retroactive payment for last year and how ? Thanks a lot for clarifying this for me.
Caspgin

Hello,

If I am filing previous year's returns should I file all of them together or file one wait for return and the file another?

Sewap

I didn't get my gst for while

You need to complete your income tax returns from previous years in order to see if you qualify for the GST credit and if you do they will pay you for those years that you missed if you qualify- max 10 years including this year.