Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just downloaded Turbotax Standard, installed, but does not start

I spoke to the Phone support folks.  We updated the M$ Visual C++ libary versions.

Inspected the TT2023 Can config file, Inspect Win Version (Win 11)

No resolution

I tried it on another computer (Win10). It loaded successfully.

Not clear what is different in the configuration of this computer that is preventing TT2023 Can from operating, but the TT2023 download file did run on another computer.

I'll reach out to support team for this computer to get guidance on what else might prevent it from loading.

Comparing the 2 (working with not working), it appears like TT2023 Can is making a network call yet disabling the AV /AM didn't enable it.

Happy to hear any other suggestions 🙂

Can you please double check that you were running as administrator? 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Since I could not get past the screen to enter my code, and I was running as the administrator, I uninstalled TT Deluxe from my new laptop and installed it on my very, very old laptop (so happy I kept it!), and it ran perfectly. Yes, some sort of conflict with my new system, but did not have the knowledge nor the time to try to figure it all out.

Just bought Standard Edition (for 2023 taxes) and as of March 17 2024 does not load on (up to date) Windows 11. You initially get a small "checking for updates" dialog box, that auto closes after the progress bar fills, then an all white TurboTax window shows, containing no contents, just the title and close button and it sits there doing nothing.

Funny enough, I still have the 2022 version installed from last year and it launches just fine.

Very Canadian experience going on here. Pay $42 for something the government should develop, to company whose business model shouldn't exist, to continue to be robbed by a government that knows everything you're paying to submit to them in the first place. Very Canadian indeed, who else in this world would put up with this level of bs.

ps, spare me your "a free version exists" wisdom, Im well aware

Here, because Im a nice (angry) guy, heres what worked for me. For whatever reason, latest windows 11 might be missing the visual c++ runtime version they built this new 2023 taxes version with (usually software auto installs this, for instance, various games do it at install time, turbo tax doesnt, or didnt for me, w/e),  so get the updated version from Microsoft here

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170#visual-studio...

Its (likely) youre on windows 11 x64 so, just down the page youll be looking for this sections download link

Latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Version

X64https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

Permalink for latest supported x64 version. The X64 Redistributable package contains both ARM64 and X64 binaries. This package makes it easy to install required Visual C++ ARM64 binaries when the X64 Redistributable is installed on an ARM64 device.

install restart, the white window still stalled for a few seconds but then the key entry box shows, worked for me.

Thank you for this feedback, it is very much appreciated.

askew123

I ham having the same problem with no help from turbotax... can not finish taxes without access.  I have a different problem witht he corporate versions that did not allow more that three years of software on the same computer, had to delete a prior year version in order to complete install of next year. Software does not tell you this and had to go through three support person before finding one that really new the product and could supply the solution.Some of the support people fill seats.. 

I have uninstalled software and reinstall with the same white screen.. is there no solution.

Are you using Windows 10 or 11? If so, you may want to review: Windows 10 and Windows 11 in S mode FAQ. Some clients are saying removing the S mode was the answer.

This is a bit of risk if it is not the answer as switching from Windows 11 Home to Windows 11 Pro is $150

I can run TT2021 and TT2022 on this computer no issue (Windows 11 Home)

However, TT2023 does not run past the splash screen. Same image DOES run on Windows 10 Pro.

I have the latest Visual C++ libraries installed.

If you are switching from Windows 11 Home to Windows 11 Pro and that is the solution for you, please post.

Can you please try just reinstalling your TurboTax software and make sure that you are on Microsoft Edge?