Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dav9696

Manitoba Personal Tax Credit

Issue: Spousal 2019 returns prepared:

1) both spouses have net income that is lower than their total non-refundable tax credit amounts.  

2) the tax program Sch 2 and Sch2(MB) for both spouses, claims the transferable amount for respective spouse on Line 32600 (T1Gen Step 5) and line 58640 (MB428).  Therefore both are claiming each other's transfer amounts.  

3) CRA. disallows the MB Personal Tax Credit because they consider the spouse as ineligible, because they have had their transferred amount claimed by another person (their spouse).

4) is there a way (some box to check etc...) to tell the program not to claim the spouses excess non-refundable amounts?  I have scoured the help menu and have found no way to turn off the transfer of amount to a spouse.  The only way I can think to remove the transfer amount is to do an F2 override.  But doing so makes it so the return can not be net-filed. 

6 Replies

Hello! We would need additional information, please provide more details using this link: https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/contact/

I have exactly the same issue.  

Two Manitoba seniors (age 69 & 71), married, low income (only $7200 each), no dependants. Neither of them have enough income to be taxable as their federal non-refundable tax credits exceed their taxable income by a large margin.

TurboTax doesn't allow a claim for the Manitoba Personal Tax Credit. It appears to be because TurboTax transfers the age amount both ways to each person in a couple, i.e. each person transfers their age amount to the other person. CRA doesn't allow the Manitoba Personal Tax Credit, which is a refundable credit, if one is claiming a transfer of the age amount.

Preparing the tax returns with exactly the same information using different tax software (UFile) does not result in the transfer of the Age Amounts both ways - only from one person. UFile therefore allows the individuals to claim the refundable Manitoba Personal Tax Credits and receive a higher refund.

Why are there different outcomes using different tax software but using exactly the same information?

Update to my last post. I have done several test tax returns using TurboTax online (2019 Tax Year). For two married seniors (65 or older), one of the couple must have at least $13354 in income in order for Turbo Tax to claim the Manitoba Personal Tax Credits correctly. If both individuals have income lower than that value, then the credit is not claimed. Other tax software does not behave like this.

Hello! Thanks for pointing that out, we will issue a fix shortly.

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are looking into it and will get back to you soon as we have more details. 

Thank you

Struna--565
Returning Member

I have this issue for tree years and had to use another application in addition to TurboTax to file our returns.

I reported this issue and explained to TurboTax representative why it is not working. He promised to report it to developers and they will fix it.  So the problem still on the same place and nobody worried about their customers. Should we switch to another application? 

Algorithm is very easy: 

If Line 26000  <  line 58040 on MB428 for the both spouses

Then line 59120 = 59020

and Provincial amounts transferred from your spouse = 0

Hope you fix it and I coud file my spouse return soon and before 30 of April 2022