Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobi2015

My federal disability amount transferred from my child is showing split between my husband and me: 6479.56 and 1286.44, even though only him is claiming it!!!

disability amount transferred to my husband, line 318 on federal form schedule 1 which is 7766.00, for some reason splits into two amounts of 1286.44 for me and 6479.56 for my husband even though he is the only one who's claiming it. provincial amounts for the same credit are assigned properly. what is going on?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My federal disability amount transferred from my child is showing split between my husband and me: 6479.56 and 1286.44, even though only him is claiming it!!!

If you and your husband are doing joint preparation, Turbotax will do an automatic transfer of spousal credits in a situation where one partner does not require all of certain credits to reduce their tax on taxable income to zero.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you and your husband are doing joint preparation, Turbotax will do an automatic transfer of spousal credits in a situation where one partner does not require all of certain credits to reduce their tax on taxable income to zero.
bobi2015

my husband is claiming this full credit for years now, but we are using turbo tax for the first time now. i have NO income, why would the program transfer part of the amount to me? provincial credit for this amount is correctly allocated. as a result of this error, my husband refund is reduced. i'm using the standard version of the software.
bobi2015

thank you for your answer, but this situation does not apply to me. everything else is working fine, so i must conclude that this is an error within the program. and maybe this free version of the software is flowed in regards to this specific non-refundable tax credit.
Tona34

because of this I am unable to Netfile my return... have already netfiled my husband's but because of this split amount being recorded on my return..which I can't seem to remove or fix...I am unable to netfile. Irritating!!!!