Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Mar 14, 2023 3:17:07 PM

Non-capital losses - override required (line 25200)

Had a situation some years ago which generated a huge loss, far more than a single year tax could allow for.  Because of this, the loss was distributed over a number of previous years - this required a hard copy written request to Rev Canada to consider and adjust those returns on a manual basis.

The non-capital loss being input to TurboTax continues to generate a helpful note that these losses remain available, even though some years have passed.  This is helpfully display - but not changeable - on the *LOSS worksheet.

I have attempted to manually zero out the amount with an override, but the software won't allow this.  Calling the 1-800 number for information unhelpfully sends back a text saying:

Here's the link to the information you requested from Turbotax:

help with overrides: null

Can I please get some assistance with removing all my non-capital losses so that I don't accidentally claim them in a subsequent tax filing?

0 1 586
1 Replies
Mar 19, 2023 4:36:22 PM

You should be able to delete the amounts that are in the Opening Balance column. If there's nothing else on that form that you need you can select edit > forms > clear current forms to empty the entire form.