Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i know if i qualify for the gst/hst or qst rebate?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

That's correct.

Applying for the GST/HST credit has changed for tax year 2014. You no longer have to apply for the GST/HST credit or the Ontario sales tax (OST) credit. The CRA will now automatically determine if you are eligible when you file your return and will tell you if you are entitled to receive the credit. Either you or your spouse/partner may receive the credit, but not both of you. The credit will be paid to whoever's tax return is processed first.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

That's correct.

Applying for the GST/HST credit has changed for tax year 2014. You no longer have to apply for the GST/HST credit or the Ontario sales tax (OST) credit. The CRA will now automatically determine if you are eligible when you file your return and will tell you if you are entitled to receive the credit. Either you or your spouse/partner may receive the credit, but not both of you. The credit will be paid to whoever's tax return is processed first.

Donna7

I hope that this does not cause any issues for people, I know others who have had their taxes done using other software and they were told how much they would receive for GST/HST it only seems to be TurboTax who does not provide that info, I did my Dad's and Aunts income taxes and I just hope that there won't be any issues with them receiving their GST/HST since its much needed income for them.  I just hope I won't have to send in adjustments because of this new feature.
Donna7

I wanted to add to my comment since I search CRA web site and no where does it say that you don't have to apply as of 2014, I will call them tomorrow and see if I am correct.
Donna7

Ok I found it on another part of the web site, I wish they would make up their minds, very sorry you are correct.
Sally71

This is one of the new things with the 2014 tax return, this line is gone and we automatically apply to it depending on your income on tax return.