I am happy to report that data can now be transferred from your 2018 TurboTax Online to your 2019 TurboTax Online or from TurboTax CD/Download to TurboTax Online.
- Browse to TurboTax.ca and, in the upper-right corner, select Sign In and then Start or Continue My 2019 Tax Return. Your credentials are the same ones you used last year.
- On the “Great to see you again!” page, beside Start, a new 2019 return, select Continue.
- On the “Welcome back!” screen, where it says From last year, which of your completed tax returns do you want to transfer?, select the tax return that contains the information you’d like to transfer, and then select Continue.
- Browse to TurboTax.ca and, in the upper-right corner, select Sign In and then Start or Continue My 2019 Tax Return.
- If you have a TurboTax Online account, follow the prompts to sign in; your credentials are the same ones you used last year. If you don’t have an account, follow the prompts to create one and then sign in.
- If you have already have a TurboTax Online account: After you sign in, on the “Great to see you again!” page, beside Start a new 2019 return, select Continue. Select the TurboTax Online product you’d like to use (you can choose any product except Free) and then select Start.
- On the “Let’s see if we can save you some time” screen, TurboTax will prompt you to indicate which product you used last year. Where it says Did you use TurboTax last year?, select Yes. Where it says Which product did you use?, select TurboTax CD/Download and then select Continue.
- Select Choose File. Browse to and select your prior year TurboTax CD/Download file, and then select Continue.
@TurboTaxGinette What if I'm filing a joint return where one of us filed using TurboTax Online last year, and the other used TurboTax CD/Download last year? I was able to transfer the data from the previous year's return that was filed online, but I don't see where I can upload the .tt18 file for the return that was filed using TurboTax CD/Download last year.
If you are choosing to complete your returns together this year, then you will need to start from scratch. So that next year you will be able to transfer your personal information into your 2020 return as a joint account.
I don't get the “Let’s start with last year’s return” screen when starting my 2020 return. I thought from 2019 forward Tax Return Access was automatically included:
"Tax return access services are now included, for the first time, in all free and paid products beginning in the 2019 tax year, regardless of whether or not you have added any PLUS features onto your account".