Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jan 26, 2023 1:04:58 PM

Ontario Staycation Tax Credit Entry form

Ontario Staycation Tax Credit Entry form will not allow entry of an alpha/numeric HST/GST number. You need to fix the formatting!

0 18 3191
18 Replies
Jan 27, 2023 10:57:09 AM

What is the exact error message that you are getting? 

Also, please make sure that you are entering the GST/HST number in the correct format, ex: 139217491 RT 0001

Jan 27, 2023 5:17:23 PM

Familiar with GST/HST registration number format. Cannot enter complete series of numbers and 'RT'. Error message is "Please enter a numeric value rounded to the nearest whole number." Obviously irrelevant to the nature of the data to be entered.  Entering only the first 9-digit numbers without the RT 001(or other identifier) does not generate an error and allows the data entry to proceed.  Per CRA, the digits following the RT indicate the location so they could be 001, 002 ... and should be included to precisely identify the location in the CRA form. Either formatting of this field is wrong or CRA only wants the first 9 digits of the number. A fix or better explanation is required depending on the cause of the problem.

Jan 27, 2023 5:51:21 PM

I will let our product development team that this needs to be fixed. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Feb 13, 2023 12:20:04 PM

Click on Staycation credit on ON479  it takes you to what looks like the ON479 Worksheet Go to amount column  for accommodation expense and double click on the amount green field...it goes to a revised ON479 worksheet and allows you to enter the information.  It then automatically appears on the Ont tax forms

BUT... there is not enough room to enter name and address of the hotel etc.

Feb 13, 2023 12:45:43 PM

@MrsH1 If you don't have enough room to put in the name and full address, just enter the name and postal code. 

Feb 13, 2023 1:40:01 PM

Thanks, that’s what I wound up doing…there’s just enough room if you leave no spaces.…..suggestion:   Allow type to carry over beyond box so it gets submitted properly 

Feb 13, 2023 1:53:45 PM

@MrsH1 I have passed on your suggestion to our product development team. Thank you for your input.

Level 2
Feb 23, 2023 5:04:15 AM

You are wrong. The desktop version does not let you enter alpha characters. You cannot put spaces also, only 15 numeric values are allowed. You have known about this problem for a long time why is it not fixed. It is February 23 and I cannot file my return because of this warning. When is your next form upgrade going to occur?

Feb 24, 2023 4:41:30 PM

Have you tried entering the HST/GST number using the Forms mode instead of EasyStep?

To do this, click on the Forms icon in the blue icon bar. Then click on the Forms icon again, and search for “ONWS”. Select “ONWS ON479” from the list and click “OK”. Then you can enter your Staycation information in the table at the top of the form.

To go back to EasyStep Mode, click on the EasyStep icon in the blue icon bar.

Level 2
Feb 25, 2023 5:37:00 AM

Yes I have tried entering the HST number using the forms mode. The program will not let me change that form unless I override the HST number that is already there.  I have tried overriding the number but when I try to NETFILE I still get this alert: 

Canada Revenue Agency has released new information for the Ontario Staycation tax credit that is not included into this release. If you are claiming this credit, we do not recommend you to Netfile at this time. The Ontario Staycation tax credit changes will be included into our next release. 

Please tell all the people of Ontario, who are claiming this credit, when you are going to upload the release that will let us file our returns. Thanks JP 

Feb 27, 2023 1:07:48 PM

A fix for the Staycation credit should be available by the end of this week.

Mar 1, 2023 9:05:37 AM

I am having the same problem, it wont let me enter GST number, says that I need to round up to the nearest dollar, I have tried it using the quick step and the form route with no success.

I would also like to know how to enter more than 7 receipts, the number of available slots? 

Mar 1, 2023 9:09:09 AM

I am having the same problem, it wont let me enter GST number, says that I need to round up to the nearest dollar, I have tried it using the quick step and the form route with no success.
I would also like to know how to enter more than 7 receipts, the number of available slots?

Mar 4, 2023 4:02:05 PM

@ctb75 You can enter the number without the RT, or fill out the ON479 worksheet in Forms mode.

Mar 30, 2023 10:38:36 AM

Yeh, did as you instructed using the forms rather than Easy Step and got the same error, didn't matter.

Apr 3, 2023 12:12:38 PM

@terryd040959 If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

Apr 22, 2023 9:55:55 PM

People use EasyStep because they find the forms intimidating.  Please fix this problem. You could at the very least open a splash screen directing users to open Forms mode and give a full explanation of how to enter the data.

I left the letters "RT" out of the GST number and my return was successfully netfiled. We will see if this passes CRA muster.

Apr 23, 2023 5:33:54 AM

I also left out the RT, all returns efiled and refunds processed without any issues.