Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FDionne
Returning Member

2021 version won't install

Hello,

For the second consecutive year, the software won't install on my Windows 10 computer. After I double click on the installation file (downloaded from the website), the files seemingly unzip, but then nothing happens. The window disappears and the software is not installed. No error message appears.

I have tried launching as an administrator and deactivating my antivirus, to no avail. 

Does anyone have a possible solution? Thanks. I am using the French version, but the French support site has little activity and I doubt this is a language issue.

10 Replies

Please contact our phone support as they will be better able to assist you. You can use the form on this page to get the right phone number to call: TurboTax Contact Us

VML2
Level 2

Have you received any help regarding this as I'm experiencing the same thing.  I'm using the english version.

FDionne
Returning Member

No, unfortunately; I still have to call customer support but my filing date is June 15 so I'm in no hurry! Last year I tried installing it on an older laptop and it worked fine, not sure what the problem is now.

FDionne
Returning Member

I just tried to install it again - I recently upgraded to Windows 11. Same problem, it is frustrating.

VML2
Level 2

Thank you for responding.  I'm waiting on a call from the help number.  Good luck!

VML2
Level 2

Hi @FDionne,

I spent over an hour on the phone with support and did not get anywhere.  Did some searching online and came across another thread experiencing the same issues and the solution there worked for me.  Here's the thread: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/turbo-tax-deluxe-2021-won-t-install/00/2389040.

In short, I changed my environmental variables for TEMP and TMP to C:\Temp and then I was able to install properly.  If you want to give it a shot, here are the instructions I followed.  Good luck!

"Type "environment" in the search bar, which should bring up "Edit the System Environment Variables" as a match. Clicking on it takes you to the "Advanced" tab of a dialog box titled "System Properties." Near the bottom of the dialog box, click on the pushbutton labeled "Environment Variables...". This brings up a separate dialog box that shows the current values for user environment variables at the top and system variables at the bottom. In the list of user environment variables, you should see both TEMP and TMP, and their current values. Click on each, then click on the "Edit..." pushbutton. This brings up another dialog box in which you can change the "Variable value" to "C:\Temp" (be sure to change the variable value, not the variable name). This folder must, of course, exist for this step to work properly. OK out of all the dialog boxes and retry the install. Environment variable changes take effect immediately, so if this is the only change you make, it's not necessary to reboot."

FDionne
Returning Member

Thank you, I will try! Cheers! 

FDionne
Returning Member

Hi there,

It worked perfectly. Thank you so much for your help!

Cheers!

dav1dk3

Your fix worked for me with installing TurboTax 2022--thank you! Now I'm just wondering if I should change back the environmental variables to what they were--or just leave them?