Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deduction for CPP/QPP/PPIP (self-empl.)

My son works for a gas station.  He is not self-employed.  I used the wizards to post his details.. just a simple T4.  Does it make sense that there would be an amount in "Detailed Tax Summary" at end for "Deduction for CPP/QPP/PPIP (self-empl.)?  It's only $14.09, but I'm not sure why it's not $0.  I have "Standard" edition.  Bug?

9 Replies

We are aware of the issue at hand and our team is working on a resolution. Try again on Monday, March 9th,2020. The issue will be resolved! We appreciate your patience.

I have the same issue with standard version. I tried to read the summary today, the issue is still there. What will I do for that then I can remove the deduction.

THanks

Jim

wrurka
Returning Member

Has this been resolved with the update on March 9th? Will the system automatically update an existing tax return that has been saved? Or are you required to complete the taxes again? Please provide the necessary steps required to do so.  @TurboTaxLise 

@jimshao & @wrurka - Please make sure you have done the latest update on your software. Start at the "Review" section and proceed through. If the error persists, your best option is to contact our support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. If the agent cannot resolve your issue please make sure you tell them you want to escalate the issue to a higher level.

WeeWaugh
Returning Member

Hello! I am having the same issue, my software is up to date. What are the steps to remove this deduction? @TurboTaxLise 

I haven’t got the solution, please write down the steps here after you got them.

bmcp

If it's the same problem as mine, the summary shows it as "Deduction for CPP/QPP/PPIP (self-empl.)", but I don't think that description is correct.  If you check in the detailed tax summary (Menu item: Review > Bottom Line (Tax Summary) then find a link for "Detailed Tax Summary" halfway down the page), it's actually getting that amount from line 22215: "Deduction for CPP/QPP enhanced contributions on employment income" and not the self-employed line (22210) right above it.

Revenue Agency link for line 22215 

As of 2019, you can claim a deduction for the enhanced contributions on CPP and QPP pensionable earnings you contributed through your employment income.

Whether you contributed to the CPP or QPP, the maximum allowable claim is $80.85.

I updated my standard turbo tax today (April 29th, 2020) am having this same issue. It is putting a deduction on this line even though my son had no self employment income.

After having made sure you have done the latest update on your software, start at the "Review" section and proceed through. If the error persists, I believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact us please follow this link: Contact Us form. Once you go through the steps and complete the form, the phone number to speak to a TurboTax agent will appear on the page. If the agent cannot resolve your issue please make sure you tell them you want to escalate the issue to a higher level.

Thank you for your patience.