Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discrepancy between 2 returns

My son’s return dropped from $1,000 to $300 after I entered his tuition & RESP but my daughter’s stayed the same! Why?

1 Reply

Discrepancy between 2 returns

Well, on your son’s return, what is likely happening is that the Canada Workers Benefit (CWB) (aka the Working Income Tax Benefit) was added and the removed from his return. In the Income part of the return, if he had a small amount of employment income, then that would make him eligible for the CWB. But later, when you added the tuition, the CWB would have been removed, since full time students are generally not eligible for the credit.

With your daughter’s return, either she doesn’t have employment income, or too much for the CWB. Or she is still eligible to get the CWB despite being a student. Another possibility is that she never had the CWB added to her return in the first place, and her refund is coming from another source.

This CRA page has info on the CWB & eligibility for the credit: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/witb-eligibility.html