Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disposition of property

I was trying to do a disposition of property (on turbo tax form 2091) for my mother in law that passed away. the house was bought in 1969 and was her principal residence. when putting info on form i get an error because the date is not after 1972 so what do i need to do ?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

disposition of property

Thanks But it did not help i was going to call tax canada but would have to wait 2+ hours. anyway I found the answer.  Here it is in case somebody needs help

"The increase in value of the home from time of purchase is used to calculate the gain before deducting the principal residence exemption.  If a home has been owned since before 1972, only the increase in value since December 31, 1971 is used to calculate the gain before deducting the principal residence exemption."

View solution in original post

1 Reply

disposition of property

Thanks But it did not help i was going to call tax canada but would have to wait 2+ hours. anyway I found the answer.  Here it is in case somebody needs help

"The increase in value of the home from time of purchase is used to calculate the gain before deducting the principal residence exemption.  If a home has been owned since before 1972, only the increase in value since December 31, 1971 is used to calculate the gain before deducting the principal residence exemption."