cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PepeLePeu
Level 3

Downloaded 2020 Turbotax Standard will not Launch

Hi taag94. Thank you for the update. 

I have a new Dell all-in-one with SSD boot and HDD storage, running Win 10 Home 20H2 64-bit. x64-based processor 11th gen i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz with 4 cores and 8 threads. 16Gb RAM.

I have tried installing to both drives with no luck. The program installs, detects that an update is available, downloads the update, restarts, and then freezes on the white screen where I should be prompted to enter my license key.

Been using Turbotax for at least 10 years so really hoping to get a fix from them to make this work.

TurboTaxJennifer

Good morning!

If your installation issues persist, please contact us for assistance. Since there have been a number of different experiences described in this thread, contacting our phone support team individually is best.

Here's how:

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/product-information/help/contact-us/00/873707

PepeLePeu
Level 3

I was able to work around the problem as follows:

If you hover your mouse about halfway down the blank window, the pointer changes to a cursor, indicating a text entry field. I was able to click and type in my registration code.

I then moused over the bottom right of the blank window where I expected an OK button to be, and when the pointer changed again I clicked. A few seconds later the program launched.

So it appears that the blank white window is functional, it's just displaying everything in white.

Intuit, over to you to fix this for others.

PepeLePeu
Level 3

Solved it.

If you hover your mouse in the middle of the blank white window it changes to a text cursor, and you can click and enter or paste your registration code.

Next, hover the mouse in the bottom right corner of the blank area until you find the invisible "OK" button and click it. After a few seconds your TurboTax will load and become visible. Not sure if we will lose visibility in other areas of the program.

103taag
Level 2

Brilliant, it worked!

Took me some trial and error to find the right spot to click for the 'License Code field' and the 'OK', but was able to find them after googling images of what the License Code activation screen looked like.

Great work @PepeLePeu and thanks for posting!

marmour07
Level 2

I had posted a issue but no response. So I will reply here so you can see it. My issues are similar to these. However, a install/reinstall of TT Standard Cdn 2020 completes, access key was entered. Launch of TT STD 2020 says there is an update. Ans Y - It downloads and installs. Program restarts displays splash screen then that's all that shows up, for hrs. Task mgr shows pgm basically doing 0.3% activity.

2nd approach - install/reinstall of TT Std 2020 once complete program starts and indicates there is an update. Ans N - then get msg Server Busy. Retry or Switch. Either response does no good to get pgm to start. Switch does cause Windows menu to open but that's it. Retry just causes msg to be redisplayed.

In the past many years other versions are on this PC with no issues. 2019 version still works. Is there a way of checking the updates avail so I know when to retry to see if it is fixed.

zabkirjay
Returning Member

2020 TT gives me a 607 error code when I enter my activation code. I need help. Someone out there knows this a problem. I purchased TurboTax2020 at Costco.

Len

Ronn88
Level 2

I can input my 16 digit activation code. I then get the green checkmark screen and click "get started". Then that is it. nothing opens. I have uninstalled and installed. Still get the same.

Torborgie
Level 2

I'm having exactly the same issues as you.

I've been using the software for ~10 years and never had an issue.

I installed 2020 Standard software from CD, put in the activation code and saved a draft return. 

Three days later, I try to open it, it hangs on the "updates" forever.

I de-install, re-install, de-install, download instead of using CD and it still won't work.

I've wasted 2.5 hours on this and I can't make it work.

Torborgie
Level 2

I just called the Canadian help line. I was on for 4 mins only.

Tech told me that the 2020 software has a glitch and it will be fixed by the end of today - Monday, Feb 1st.

v