Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StonePoet

Error ERR.029 from CRA site for second download for joint tax return preparation

I am preparing my 2021 tax return along with my spouse and have successfully downloaded my CRA information slips through my CRA account.  Since I am doing a joint file with my spouse it prompts me for my spouses CRA connection information and it progresses all the way through to the end of the security prompts when it then displays an error message with a label of ERROR ERR.029 Session timeout.  I have reviewed the TurboTax online help for ERR.029 and it is not a valid description as the link refers to a CRA document for RDSP submission not CRA download of tax information into TurboTax.

I also tried various way to just pull the second set of file for my spouse to no avail, and yes the login information for my spouse to CRA is correct.  Is there an issue where two attempts at extracting CRA data in a row for the combined filing is prohibited?

9 Replies

Error ERR.029 from CRA site for second download for joint tax return preparation

Are you able to log in directly to the Canada Revenue Agency’s (CRA) My Account service? If you can’t then there might be a problem with your login information or your account.

If you are able to log in to your CRA My Account and are still getting this error, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

I'm experiencing the identical problem.    My CRA data is imported as expected.    When trying to import my wife's CRA data, I received the error 029 "sessions timed out error".    The error appears to be coming from the CRA site, not from TurboTax.    My wife has a CRA account, and we can log in without any trouble when using the browser directly.  We're using our banking login partner.     It appears that TurboTax is doing something differently for the spousal login.     There are 158 tax slips waiting in my wife's account.    I have them printed...but not looking forward to entering them all one at a time.      Something is broken in TurboTax 2021.   I'm currently on hold at the tech support number.

Since the first return seems to download fine...please advise how I can complete my return in such a way that my wife's data is shown first...and I'm second.    I only have 4 tax slips so I could easily enter them manually.

OK...I think I have this figured out.   I spent an extended period on the TurboTax phone support struggling with a language difference.   No progress  made from the support call.

Since my wife had a ton of tax slips and I only had 3, I started a brand new return...but this time I put my wife's name first, and me as the spouse.     Although it took some time to answer all of the questions again, the CRA download of my wife's tax slips worked perfectly 🙂           I then tried my own.   The first attempt provided an Error 082 from CRA.   It seems that CRA MyAccount thinks that my wife is trying to log in to my MyAccount.    The error message tells me that I need to set my wife up as a "representative".    After going around in circles on the CRA web site I gave up trying to set her up as a representative.   I'll just enter my 3 tax slips manually.

TurboTax...pay attention!   You need to work with CRA to have them understand that the access to the CRA account is determined by the person who logs in to CRA MyAccount.    For some reason, the first return in a spousal pair in TT2021 is being flagged as the person trying to log in the second CRA account.   This is a mess.  It didn't use to be that way.    Please coordinate with CRA and get this figured out.

Hi,  I am having similar problems.

I unable to import and it is indicating that there are no slips.  I have logged into my CRA account and the slips are there.  I have tried different browsers and cleared out the cookie cache. I've been trying for 2 days. 

I noticed a 188 number is this the support phone number? 

@John___D thank you very much for that information. We will pass that on to our experts. 

@102rosa yes, you can absolutely call that number for support.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I have same problem but now it's both account, my wife and me who receive the error ERR.029.
I cannot even finish to fill my taxes now. :(

Thank you @WhiteGecko- for your feedback in the other post : When you import first slips and enter CRA login info after finishing to import the information open a new tab in the browser and go to revenue agency and login using the same login information. You will see you are still logged in. Log out then go back to turbotax and enter credential for the next person (wife/husband). Then it will work.
The reason is that when you import from turbotax then after that you stay logged in the revenue agency website. When CRA pop-up window from turbotax closes it does not log you out.

Hi Brenda

I tried that.  It didn't work. I had to manually input the information.  It was very frustrating (please note, I am under stating my frustration) considering the advantage of this software is the import feature. 

I am hope I am not as frustrating when I start the 2022 returns. 

Rosa 

I have done this several times and when we go to CRA to log in my partner, it brings up my SIN and not his. It says, I may still be logged in. This is very frustrating since I have gone to the website in a new tab and logged in/out. I know I am not logged in anymore, but we cannot log my partner in.