Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ETC2019HK

Foreign Tax Credit problem on Software version

How could I fill in a figure on the field 'Foreign real property income' and 'Foreign tax paid on real property income' under the 'Foreign Tax Credit' page on Software version?  I understand that this could be done on Online version but could not be done on Software version.  I speak to an agent on the 'contact us' Helpdesk of TurboTax, she found out together with me that these two fields on the Software version are linked to T5013 which could not be used for foreign income.  She not only could not give me a solution nor advice on how to properly record data on the TurboTax, but she hanged me up after waiting and speaking for over an hour. 

2 Replies
Jeffuuright
Employee Tax Expert

In the TurboTax desktop version, under the “View” option in the toolbar, you have the choice of selecting either the Forms method, or you can select the EasyStep method which works just like it does in the online version. You are also able to switch from one method to another. You may find that your foreign tax credits and deductions can be prepared more easily using the Easy Step method. Under the “INCOME & EXPENSES” section in the left-hand navigation pane, open the panel for “Entering your federal T-slips” and check the box for “Foreign Slip.” Follow the steps from there.

ETC2019HK

Sounds great.  Will give it a try and see if amendment could be made.  You are definitely an expert.