Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am a teacher who worked from home during Covid. What can I claim on the GST/HST rebate page?

1 Reply

I am a teacher who worked from home during Covid. What can I claim on the GST/HST rebate page?

You must have paid the GST or HST on your expenses and included them on your tax return before you can claim the rebate. For example; GST/HST paid on vehicle maintenance, gas, etc. Not all expenses qualify for the rebate, eligible expenses include:

• expenses you incurred when your employer was a GST/HST registrant
  • the work-use part of your eligible expenses
  • the GST/HST paid on eligible expenses for food, beverages, and entertainment; 80% for long haul trucker and 50% for all other eligible employees.
  • expenses that relate to a taxable allowance you received from your employer that is reported in the GST/HST rebate application. This allowance was included in your income as a taxable benefit (T4)
  • an expense or part of an expense for which you were not reimbursed or are entitled to be reimbursed by your employer
  • expenses on which you paid GST or HST, such as:
    • goods and services acquired from registrants (non-registrants small suppliers do not qualify)
    • most expenses you incurred inside Canada (for example, gasoline,
      accommodation, meals, and entertainment)
    • expenses that you pay GST or HST on (basic groceries, insurance premiums, mortgage interest, motor vehicle license fees do not qualify)
    • GST/HST paid on the portion of the CCA you claimed on motor vehicles, aircraft, and musical instruments that you did not receive an allowance for.

The following link details other Expenses that you can claim for working home due to Covid:

You Can Claim $400 In Expenses If You Worked From Home Due To COVID-19

For more information, please see:

Did You Know You Can Claim The GST/HST Rebate On Your Expenses?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us