Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bkhiltz

I was self-employed for 2020 (recruitment) but earned no income. Because I did not invoice for any recruitment, I was not registered for GST. Do I say I'm selfemployed

1 Reply

I was self-employed for 2020 (recruitment) but earned no income. Because I did not invoice for any recruitment, I was not registered for GST. Do I say I'm selfemployed

In your situation, you can have 2 options to choose:

1. If you have business expenses when you haven’t yet started earning income, you can fill as a self-employed and claim the business expense providing that you are actually generating those expenses to earn income. The expenses must be reasonable, and you must have receipts & logs to back up the amounts you claim (should the CRA ask). It also helps if you have other documentation to show that your business is real. A business plan, advertising you had printed up, etc. - things that show that you are genuinely going into business, even if you haven't earned anything yet.

Please check our TurboTax articles for more details: 

When Can I Claim Business Expenses?

Deductible Business Start-Up Costs

You can file a nil return for 2020 in business income and then you should not send it in again.  If you do not intend to return to self-employment, you can ask to close your tax account at CRA.

2. If you have no business expenses as well. You do not have to state that you are self-employed if you have no business income to report.

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter

Thank you for using TurboTax.