Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frank17

When I enter the details of my T5008 Securities transaction nothing appears in the schedule 3 supplemental statement form. Is this normal or is this a bug?

I'm using TurboTax Standard 2016

Version 01.73 Build 7010 (2016.71)

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When I enter the details of my T5008 Securities transaction nothing appears in the schedule 3 supplemental statement form. Is this normal or is this a bug?

It isn't enough just to enter T5008 slip entries alone. If you have not got an entry in box 20, Adjusted Cost of the investment, then it isn't possible to create an amount for Capital Gain or Loss on the disposal of your investment.

You will need to work out the ACB for each transaction and enter this in the appropriate box 20 on the T5008 entry page force arch investment.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

It isn't enough just to enter T5008 slip entries alone. If you have not got an entry in box 20, Adjusted Cost of the investment, then it isn't possible to create an amount for Capital Gain or Loss on the disposal of your investment.

You will need to work out the ACB for each transaction and enter this in the appropriate box 20 on the T5008 entry page force arch investment.
Alexandr

I have both 20 and 21 boxes populated, but still nothing happens (this information is just ignored). It looks like there is a bug in turbotax online 2019.

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

If this information is on your data transfer sheet but has not been populated in your return, please add them manually.

I duplicated this issue and when i add the T5008 manually, I was able to generate a schedule 3.

If you still have issues after following this process, please contact our support line: https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/contact/

I hope this was helpful

Alexandr

Thanks for reply! The issue is that if I have capital gain then T5008 is handled properly, but if I have capital loss it's not reflected anywhere. As far as I understand it should go on the same line with minus sign.

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

Using the TTD, I was able to create a scenario with a capital loss of $-1000 and create a schedule 3. 

Make sure that you are choosing "Capital Gain" for the type of security and that both boxes 20 and 21 are filled properly.

Since we can't share your private information in the live community:

For questions for which personal information must be exchanged, you can contact us by phone or private message on our Facebook and Twitter social networks. 

We also offer tax expert services as needed. 

Thanks in advance for your understanding, 

Have questions
Returning Member

When I enter the details of my T5008 Securities transaction nothing appears in the schedule 3 supplemental statement form. Is this normal or is this a bug? In 2020 Turbotax.

There are ACB and Proceeds difference . 

The clue is in  "Make sure that you are choosing "Capital Gain" for the type of security" on the T-Slips  > T5008 dialog:

Capture.JPG

This does not get filled in automatically when you import your T5008s, and if it's not selected the values from the T-slips aren't used and the T1 forms don't change.

IMHO the "Type of Security" is a required field, and TurboTax should tell you if it's not filled in.

So yes, this is a bug!