Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sugarcattw
Returning Member

Should worldwide income be reported based on arrival date, rather than full year for 1st year filing?

Since I arrived Canada mid of Dec, should I report my worldwide income from my arrival date to year end only? 

Also, will I be entitled to full year personal credit allowance or it will be on pro-rata basis? 

Looking forward to your guidance.   Thank you very much. 

4 Replies

Should worldwide income be reported based on arrival date, rather than full year for 1st year filing?

You would enter you worldwide income for the for the part of the year you weren't a resident of Canada on the page where you entered the date that you entered the country. If you had foreign income after arriving to Canada, then you would put it on the Foreign slip.

If you immigrated to (or emigrated from) Canada during the tax year, your Basic Personal Amount claim is prorated for the time you were a resident of Canada.

sugarcattw
Returning Member

Q1. I have input my worldwide income for the part of the year where I became a resident in Turbotax but did not see anywhere I could put the income prior coming to Canada? 

Q2. Again, I don't see turbotax has prorated the basic personal amount claim despite that fact that I have filled  the entered date.

Are there anything I have missed when filling in turbotax?  Please help and thanks.

Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

sugarcattw
Returning Member

I am using Turbotax online and I finally figured out how it works!  Thank you so much.