Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulslauenwhite
Returning Member

Transfer amounts incorrect after a TurboTax update.

I completed my return but before doing a final review, I updated TurboTax.  During the review, I noticed that the transfer amounts were incorrect.  Obviously, our RRSP deduction limit for 2019 and net capital losses is not $24M+ each.  I am not comfortable filing my return with such an obvious mistake.  How do I fix this so I don't have to start my return all over again?

screen_capture_1.jpgscreen_capture_2.jpg

3 Replies
paulslauenwhite
Returning Member

Any update? 

I did another full (separate) return and the same problem exists.  I also confirmed another (different household) TurboTax user has the same problem with the exact same numbers.  I'm presuming this is a product defect.  

I need to file my return but I would like to get this fixed before filing.

Hi Paul, 

I can't explain why those extremely inflated numbers carried forward to your 2019 tax return, but I have brought it to the attention of the appropriate team. 

You do not have to file your return with these figures (and in the event you did, CRA would adjust them to reflect the correct amounts). What you will need to do is adjust them manually, and I'll provide the instructions on how to do that.

For your RRSP Contribution Limits:

• Click the FIND button (little magnifying glass - top right)
  • Type in RRSP
  • Click on RRSP/PRPP limit for 2019 > Go
  • On this screen you can manually change the figures to the correct ones as shown on your NOA

For the Net Capital Losses:

• Click the FIND button (little magnifying glass - top right)
  • Type in Net
  • Click on Net Capital Loss Carry Forward
  • On this screen you can manually change the figures to the correct ones as shown on your NOA

I understand that the software should be carrying forward the correct figures, but in this case, it hasn't. There is no need to delay your filing as the numbers can be changed, and our team will be looking into this matter.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and if you have any issues making these changes please contact our Customer Support for assistance. 

paulslauenwhite
Returning Member

Thanks @TurboTaxKim for your response. 

I will try the work-arounds but this type of defect concerns me given that I am trusting TurboTax with my personal taxes and any mistake with my filed return is ultimately my responsibility.  The CRA does not put any responsibility on the application providers.

To clarify, the correct numbers are imported but the symptom is reproduced when I navigate back to that screen.  Note, I can easily reproduce this symptom with any return.  

Do you a defect or case number I can reference?

Paul