Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer of Disability Tax Credit

The taxpayer needs to claim the $8,870 amount on line 31600 and CRA will see that the full amount is not needed to be claimed and can therefore be transferred to the daughter.  The daughter will claim the amount that can be transferred on line 31800 of her tax return.  So, in effect, the Disability Tax Credit will appear on both of their returns.  Seems odd but that is the way it is to be done. 

How do I claim the Disability Tax Credit transferred from my dependant?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

linwangca
Returning Member

No, it's NOT correct way. I was rejected by CRA when I did so last year!

Did you make sure that you had selected - transfer my DTC amount? 

linwangca
Returning Member

NO option in Turbotax for "selecting - transfer my DTC amount". 

rpgilbert

This is my issue too.  I will try to phone CRA to get confirmation in advance of tax filing.  Really don't want to not be able to Netfile but also don't want to have credit denied

rpgilbert

I just spent 1 hour 40 minutes on the phone with the TurboTax support team including escalation a couple of levels up from the original agent.  Bottom line was that, as far as they could tell, it is OK to have DTC on my father's return line 31600 and on my return on line 31800.  They believe that CRA will assess and see that it was not needed on my Dad's return.  But they also suggested that I call CRA support to be sure.   It seems odd that there is a line 31800 showing "amount transferred from dependent" where I can put the DTC amount from my Dad, but there is not an equivalent "amount transferred TO supporting person" on the dependent's return which would then net out the DTC amounts.   Is this something TurboTax could maybe add?

@rpgilbert Unfortunately, that change would have to be done by the CRA. TurboTax can only use whatever is on the official CRA forms.