Pick a language

Canada Français United States of America English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xuechaochen
Returning Member

TT401 error-cannot save file, the 2018 update does not work, cannot find download for 2018 tax year

I have a CD and with the key for 2018 Home and Business.

I got a TT401 error, that I cannot save my file.

Tried to manually install the 2018 updates I found online, it did not work.

Cannot find the 2018 version online and called the call center (40+ minutes wait), customer service representative sent me the *exe file through email, uninstall 2018 on my PC, and re-install the new 2018 file, and still does not work.

When can the TT401 error be fixed for 2018 tax year?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
katiab_en
Community Manager

TT401 error-cannot save file, the 2018 update does not work, cannot find download for 2018 tax year

Hello, we became aware of this issue on Dec. 23. Our teams are working to fix it. We will follow-up on this thread as soon as it is resolved. We apologize for the inconvenience. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
katiab_en
Community Manager

Hello, we became aware of this issue on Dec. 23. Our teams are working to fix it. We will follow-up on this thread as soon as it is resolved. We apologize for the inconvenience. 

View solution in original post

Hobbled
Level 2

Well, I see that this same error code is back for the 2019 version of the software.  Congratulations!

The workaround remains the same: You have to use "save as" to save the file under a different name every time you save the file.

Way to go, Turbotax!  A year later and a brand new edition of the software and you've still got the same bug you had a year ago.

Although, if I recall, the other long-running bug I experienced (having fields you've filled in appear blank until you moved the cursor to another field) took almost three years for you to fix.

My favourite part of this fiasco, though, was the way the moderator of this forum just shut down the thread in which people complained about the TT401 bug last year, declaring the issue had been resolved--when clearly that was not true, as it's still here a year later.

Your QA department really needs to pull up their socks.  And it would help if your community moderators didn't try to muzzle the people reporting the problems.

TurboTaxBrenda1

Have you checked our this FAQ on where you can find and download TT? Here is the download version for  2019 and also 2018 as you requested-  scroll down to where it says "Where can I download TurboTax for previous years- Then click on the download 2018 version-https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/product-information/help/where-can-i-download-the-cd-...

jsbrown
Level 1

Four times I tried to run through my taxes tonight.  Each a little less.... a little more careful. Making test saves at various points.

It all seems well until you enter the business interview stage (for me at least) then the tt401 pops its head.  Maybe someone glitched the latest patch for H&B version?

Saving as a new name doesn't work. Saving in a new location doesn't work. Once it glitches you're toast.

Even with downloading the home and businesses 2019 installer from the posted link its useless trying to fix things.  The installer doesn't know how to uninstall an existing version and uninstalling manually has been sitting for 45minutes now.   So very unimpressed.  

How about a correction to the software rather than telling people to reinstall (which doesn't seem to want to work anyway)

TurboTaxSusan

The development team is still working on this problem, but they haven’t given us a date for when this issue will be resolved.

We do believe that the errors are occurring due to itemized lists, whether they are put in by the user or by QuickBooks. As a work around, if you know your return has itemized lists, remove them, and you may be able to save with them gone.

I will update this thread when I have more news.

yxe2020

I experienced a similar, inability to save file, problem and found something that, so far, appears to have worked.

I purchased the TurboTax 2019 Standard version with CD and successfully installed the program on my Windows 10 PC.  I successfully rolled forward my 2018 data and entered a small amount of new data into the tt19 file.  I was unable to save the file.  Changing the file name, using "save as" and changing the directory were also unsuccessful.  Most of the displayed error messages indicated "file not found", although one time I did see the TT401 code that is referred to in several other comments.

Here is what I did:

First, I don't know if this was required, but I did get a Windows security alert when I first opened the program, so I went into the Windows 10 Settings and authorized the TurboTax program to make changes to my PC.

Second, I created a brand new tax data file.  I did not roll any data forward from a previous year return but started from scratch.  I used dummy information to complete the personal information section, filled in a few data fields (e.g.- selected English language in the T1 box).  Then I saved the file (save as) to the directory I created to store my 2019 data files.  This save worked.

Next, I started my actual 2019 return with a roll  forward of 2018 data.  I filled in a few boxes, then saved the return to my selected directory.  This save worked and I was able to re-open this data file and see that the entered data was saved properly.

It appears as if the TurboTax program needs to see a valid tt19 data file in a directory before it will save new files there.

I have not completed my tax return, nor have I tried to netfile it yet.  However, so far, so good.

Kringle

2018 online software update help.  Has this issue been resolved?

v