Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Edcwlai

Unnecessary Upgrade

We were upgraded from premium pkgs to self-employed pkgs for myself and my wife although all we had were T-slips downloaded from CRA.  Almost all slips were from investments (e.g. T5008, T5,T3..) and they were split 50/50.  Nevertheless Turbotax came in with a pop-up for an upgrade to Self-employed pkgs because it "detected" communal income!  I could not get around the upgrade pop-up and had to continue by agreeing to it.  After filing the returns (and paying Turbotax) I got to review the PDF's of  our T-1, and could not see any self-employed income and expenses being reported.  

It appears Turbotax has hit us with an unnecessary upgrade.  While we have paid $111.98 for two unnecessary self-employed pkgs, the appropriate premium pkgs would have only costed us $78.38 ($34.99x2+12% tax).   Or we overpaid $33.60!

I have since phoned a Turbotax agent at [phone number removed] to request a refund.  Although she agreed with my observation, she could not reverse the overcharge as the returns have been filed and we have paid the Turbotax bill.

The overcharge of $33.60 won't break us but it is a rip-off.

I would shop for other tax filing software next year.

2 Replies

Unnecessary Upgrade

Hi @Edcwlai 

Sorry to hear about your experience. If you are still within 60 days of purchase, you can request a refund using the following FAQ:

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/turbotax-support/en-ca/help-article/taxation/get-refund-turbota...

Please don't hesitate to reach out for further assistance. Happy filing!

HappytoHelpHak
Returning Member

Unnecessary Upgrade

Hi @Edcwlai! Thank you for your feedback. We truly apologize for your experience and inconvenience. We hope to offer you a better service in the future.  Please reach out to TurboTax Product Support and they will provide you with additional assistance on request for refund. Thanks!