Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which CCA class do Special Assessments for rental properties fall under?

Hello,

I've owned by condo since 2008 and began renting it 2012. I've made CCA claims for appliances over the years however I am wondering if I am also able to claim a $13K special assessment we paid in August. 

However, this is not a new special assessment.

This assessment dates back 2017. The charge relates to an SA required to rebuild all the balconies for the three buildings of the condominium complex after an engineering report found a large portion were not structurally sound.

All owners were initially charged it 5 years ago. At the time, owners could either pay it in full then or have their portion of SA amount added to a consolidated 5-year loan. The second option equated to an incremental increase to condo fees which was claimed annually as an expense against my rental income. We chose the latter option at the time.

However, as the  5-year term ended this month, and the Condo Corp again gave owners two options: pay out the remaining balance in full or enter into another 5 year loan and pay out the balance over that term by adding the monthly loan amount to condo fees (this monthly increase was considerably higher).

We chose to pay it in full. So I am wondering the following:
   - Can I claim the remainder of the balance I paid last month as a capital expense?     
  -  And if so, what CCA class would this fall under?
  - If it can be claimed, is the amount a one-time expense? Or required to claimed as a depreciating asset as the repairs are to the exterior of   my unit? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated TurboTax community!

1 Reply

Which CCA class do Special Assessments for rental properties fall under?

I would recommend contacting the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and verifying with them how this special assessment should be reported. This CRA webpage lists all the ways you can contact them: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information.html