Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
Announcements
For information related to Covid-19 and how to get help if you lost your job, please see The Covid-19 Tax Info Center
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Receiving a tt401 error which is wrong. I have lots of hard drive space. How do I save my tax return?

3 Replies
Highlighted

Receiving a tt401 error which is wrong. I have lots of hard drive space. How do I save my tax return?

I did my whole return without saving and then got TT401 trying to save. None of the suggested options helped (saving to a different file name, saving to a different drive, etc). I have lots of drive space and nothing is write protected.

I started my return over from scratch and saved after every screen where I entered information and never encountered the error again.

This is an obvious software bug that Intuit should fix, and make their support people aware of so that they don't treat people calling for help with it as if they are stupid

Highlighted

I spoke with TT as I had the EXACT same issue,  First, do NOT close the return....you'll loose all yiour work  They gave me this link to follow which updated the software and resolved the issue https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/questions/1303556-where-can-i-download-updates-for-turbotax-if-...    That said, SAVE as you go....page by page is my advice just in case.  And yes I agree, "make their support people aware of so that they don't treat people calling for help with it as if [this is the first time hearing if it.....cuz it's obviously NOT}    Hope this helps.  
Highlighted

Please try saving the file to a different location on your hard drive or with a different name. You can do this by choosing File> Save As from the top left corner.

You can also try renaming the .ttbk file to .tt18 – the .ttbk is the backup file, and it may have save the changes you made to your file.

Also, if you installed the software from the CD, to prevent further issues, you should uninstall it and then use the download from our website to reinstall the software. You can download TurboTax from here: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3001486