Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Mar 23, 2020 4:27:45 AM

Retrieving previous years information

I recently purchased a new laptop and I purchased and installed the online Standard Turbo Tax software on the laptop.

All my previous Turbo Taxes were on my old laptop (I had purchased CD's).

My new laptop has no CD drive.

Is it possible to retrieve all previous years Turbo Taxes information onto the new 2019 software? Where and how?

I do not find anywhere the possibility of retrieving the information. 

Thank you.

Sherif Kassabji

[email address removed]

0 3 869
3 Replies
Level 15
Mar 25, 2020 5:59:18 PM

Unfortunately, at this time this option is not available. It might be in our next software update- Here is how to transfer from TurboTax CD- to TurboTax Online 

If you purchased a Windows laptop you can still use our TurboTax CD/download and download your software from our download link.  This is how to transfer your information from one computer to another.

Returning Member
Mar 26, 2020 7:25:36 AM

Hi,

I followed all the steps showing in your link, in order to transfer my 2018 taxes from my old laptop to a USB

(ie. 2018 taxes were installed on my old laptop from a Turbo Tax CD).

When I insert the USB into the new laptop, and I click on "My Computer), I can see the files that were copied. Obviously, the files exclude the Turbo Tax program, which is still on the old laptop).

It is not clear to me how and where to copy the files on the new laptop. Which "Edit" menu?

(I have downloaded the 2019 online already on my new laptop).

Could you please help me with additional details, as to how and where to go from here?

Thank you very much.

Level 15
Mar 31, 2020 7:06:50 AM

For TurboTax to find them easily, we recommend saving the files to your My Documents folder on your new computer.

Then you will follow these steps

1. Browse to TurboTax.ca and, in the upper-right corner, select Sign In and then Start or Continue My 2019 Tax Return.
  2. If you have a TurboTax Online account, follow the prompts to sign in; your credentials are the same ones you used last year. If you don’t have an account, follow the prompts to create one and then sign in.
  3. If you have already had a TurboTax Online account: After you sign in, on the “Great to see you again!” page, beside Start a new 2019 return, select Continue. Select the TurboTax Online product you’d like to use (you can choose any product except Free) and then select Start.
  4. On the “Let’s see if we can save you some time” screen, TurboTax will prompt you to indicate which product you used last year. Where it says Did you use TurboTax last year?, select Yes. Where it says Which product did you use?, select TurboTax CD/Download and then select Continue.
  5. Select Choose File. Browse to and select your prior year TurboTax CD/Download file, and then select Continue.