Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales - Trying to find best product

Hello!

I am a new user and I'm looking to purchase your products but I'm not sure which ones to buy. My husband is employed full-time but works from home so he has some expenses he can claim. He has one T4 and his returns are always quite straight-forward.

My returns are more complex as I work full time and receive a T4, I also have some self-employed contract work income so I can write off business expenses. I also receive a set amount monthly for writing work and receive another T4A form. I am not confident doing my own business taxes but I saw the program that I can buy where the tax expert completes my return for $179 and I'm interested in that.

I'm also not sure if I should file my husband's claim and mine together to maximize on any write-offs - or just do his using the free software and pay for my business support. We are both living in Canada. 

We had a company do our tax return last year and they charged $800 and with our current financial situation, we can't afford this so I'm looking for alternatives.

Thank you so much for your help and I look forward to hearing from you!

Janine Tasaka

1 Reply

Sales - Trying to find best product

• You can use any version to prepare your tax return with Self-Employed income, even Free! When you prepare your tax returns together though, if one spouse is filing using the Self-Employed version of TurboTax Online, the other spouse's return is added on to that version of TurboTax and charged the same amount.

You can always do a "test drive" and start with a lower version, then if you would like more guidance, you can upgrade and your information will carry over to the upgraded version. Just remember you cannot "downgrade" back to the lower version.  

• If you would like help from a Tax Expert, you can use one of our Live Assist & Review products where you'll get on-demand advice from a TurboTax Expert along with a full review of your tax return. The Assist & Review for Self-Employed will answer any questions about your self-employed taxes and also help you find hidden expenses.

• And if you would like your return fully prepared for you, we offer Full Service. You can get your tax return completed and filed without ever leaving your home. If you choose the Self-Employed Full Service option, our experienced TurboTax Experts will prepare and file your self-employment taxes for you.

Please see this link for the entire TurboTax Online Line-up